Analytical Analysis of Two - Dimensional Consolidation of Soil
AbstractConsolidation is the gradual reduction in volume of a saturated soil due to drainage of some of the pore water, the process continuing until the excess pore water pressure set up by an increase in total stress has completely dissipated; the most common case is that of one dimensional consolidation. In reality, the Terzaghi’s 1-dimensional consolidation theory has been found to be highly conservative and at best only an estimation of the actual consolidation. Accurately predicting consolidation in soil has led to the development of 2-dimensional consolidation solutions. In this paper analytical solution (using the separation of variables method) have been provided for 2-dimensional consolidation equation.
. K. R Arora. Consolidation of soil in Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, 6th edition, A.K Jain, Nai Sarak, Delhi, 2004, pp. 256 - 305
. R.D. Francesco. “Exact Solution of Terzaghi’s Consolidation Equation and Extension to Two/Three-Dimensional Cases” Applied Mathematics, volume 4, pp. 713-717. 2013
. L. Ho, B. Fatahi,. “Analytical solution for the two-dimensional plane strain consolidation of an unsaturated soil stratum subjected to time-dependent loading” Compute Geotech, 67, pp. 1–16 Aug 2015
. L. Ho, B. Fatahi, H. Khabbaz, “A closed form analytical solution for two-dimensional plane strain consolidation of unsaturated soil stratum”. Int. J. Number. Anal. Met. Geomech. vol 39, pp. 1665–1692. 2015
. S. Inoue. “An Example of Two-dimensional Consolidation Testing and Numerical Procedures for Embankment Materials” Irrigation Engineering and Rural Planning No.21, pp. 4-14. 1991
. F. Oka, Adachi, Y. Okano. “Two-Dimensional Consolidation Analysis Using an Elasto-Viscoplastic Constitutive Equation” International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, vol. 10, pp. 1- 16. Aug 1986.
. J.Q. Su, Z. Wang. Two-dimensional consolidation theory of electro-osmosis. Geotechnique vol 53, no. 8, pp 759–763. Jan 2003.
. S.S. Razouki, A.A. Al-Zayadi. “Design Charts for 2D consolidation under time-dependent Embankment Loading” Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology, vol 36, pp. 246-260, Apr 2003.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.