Effect of White Turmeric Rhizome Extract (Curcuma zedoaria) on Testis Histology of Male Wistar Rat
AbstractTraditional medicine is an alternative in medicine because of the minimal side effects and low cost. One of the spices that are widely grown in Indonesia and used for traditional medicine is white turmeric rhizome. White turmeric rhizome has a chemical content such as curcumin which can be used as an anticancer. The function of white turmeric rhizome as an anticancer is not selective and may interfere with the normal cell function that actively performs mutation such as seminiferous tubule cells can cause antifertility effect. To find out the antifertility effects of white turmeric rhizomes in the testis, a rat was examined by looking at the histology of testis due to the effects of white turmeric rhizome. The study was conducted for two months from April 2019 until June 2019. All experimental procedures were performed in accordance with the Medical Research Ethics Committee Faculty of Medicine University of Prima Indonesia. Research of the animals were carried out in experimental cages at the Pharmacology and Toxicology Laboratory, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of North Sumatera Medan, while testis histopathology was made in Department of Histology, Faculty of Medicine, University of North Sumatera Medan. This research used 24 white male Wistar rats (Rattus noverticus), with ages 6-8 weeks and weighing 160-200 grams. Samples were grouped randomly into 4 groups, each group consisting of 6 rats. Each group then was given ethanol extract of white turmeric rhizome obtained from UPT Materia Medica Batu, East Java, which was determined based on the method of calculating conversion factors with doses of ethanol extract of white turmeric rhizome 20, 40 and 60 mg / 200 gram rats and control groups. All data obtained then tested using the normality test and Shapiro-Wilk and the result is normal distributed data (P> 0.05), then continued with the variance analysis test (ANOVA) obtained p value <0.05. The results showed that there was a significant difference between the decrease in the number of spermatogenic cell layers and mitosis count due to the effects of white turmeric rhizome.
Nurrochmad, A dan R. Murwanti. 2000. “Efek hepatoprotektif ekstrak alkohol rimpang kunyit putih pada tikus putih jantan”. Pharmacon 1 (1): 31-36.
Siswanti et al., 2003. “Pengaruh Ekstrak Temu Putih (Curcuma zedoaria Rosc.) terhadap Spermatogenesis dan Kualitas Spermatozoa Mencit (Mus musculus L.)”. Biosmart 5 (1): 38-42.
Ashfahani et al., 2010. “Motilitas dan Viabilitas Spermatozoa Mencit (Mus musculus L.) Setelah Pemberian Ekstrak Temu Putih (Curcuma zedoaria (Berg) Roscoe)”. Jurnal Biologi XIV (1): 20-23.
Handajani, N.S., 2003. “Aktivitas Sitostatika Temu Putih (Curcuma zedoaria (Berg) Roscoe) pada Sel-sel Spermatogenik Mencit (Mus musculus L.)”. Biosmart 5 (2): 120-123.
Antony, A. S., Gomathy, S., Rajmohan, T., Anoop, P. & Issaic, C. 2018. “Pharmacological Evaluation Of Curcumin For Its Nephroprotective Activity In 5/6 Nephrectomized Rat Model”. Drug Invention Today, 4(10): 43-46.
Putri, M. S. 2014. White Turmeric (Curcuma Zedoaria): Its Chemical Subtance And The Pharmacological Benefits. Jurnal Majority. 5(3): 50-55.
Jayaprakasha, G., Rao, L. J. & Sakariah, K. 2006. “Antioxidant Activities Of Curcumin, Demethoxycurcumin And Bisdemethoxycurcumin”. Food Chemistry. 98, 720-724
Chiung et al., 2010. “Pivotal Role of Curcuminoids on the Antimutagenic Activity of Curcuma zedoaria Extracts”. Drug and Chemical Toxicol. 33(1): 64-76.
Pomkeua, S. 2010. “Chemical Constituents from The Rhizomes Curcuma zedoaria (Christm.) Rosc. and the Stem of Citrus medica Linn. [M.Sc. Thesis]”. Prince of Songkla University.
Alrawaiq, N. S. & Abdullah, A. 2014. “A Review Of Antioxidant Polyphenol Curcumin And Its Role In Detoxification”. Int J Pharm Tech Res, 6, 280-289.
Murwanti, R., E. Meiyanto, A. Nurrochmad, Alexander. 2006. “Pengaruh Ekstrak Rimpang Temu Putih (Curcuma zedoaria Rosc.) Terhadap Karsinogenesis Paru yang Diinduksi oleh Benzo[A]Piren”. Jurnal Farmasi Indonesia. 3(2): 53-62.
Ahad, N.A., Yin, T.S., Othman, A.R., Yaacob, R.C., 2011. “Sensitivity of Normality Tests to Non-normal Data”. Penang: Universiti Sains Malaysia. Internet: http://www.ukm.my/jsm/pdf_files/SM-PDF- 40-6-2011/15%20NorAishah.pdf
Wahyuni, A.S., 2007. “Statistika Kedokteran”. Jakarta: Bamboedoea Communication.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.