Application of Robust Estimation Methods for Detecting and Removing Gross Errors from Close-Range Photogrammetric Data
AbstractSystematic, random and gross errors are considered the main problems facing those working in the photo-triangulation processes. The influence of systematic errors on photo-measurements may include lens distortion, film deformation, refraction and other distortions. Usually, these types of errors can be solved by the calibration process. Meanwhile, the traditional least-squares method was used to adjust photogrammetric data in order to solve the problems of random errors. In case observations contain gross errors, the reliability of least-squares estimates is strongly affected. In this paper, two independent mathematical models (photo-variant self-calibration and robust estimation) are combined for solving and processing the problems of systematic and gross errors in one step. Also, this paper investigated the effectiveness of robust estimation models on solving gross errors in close-range photogrammetric data sets that require photo bundle adjustment solution. The results of investigation indicate that all robust methods have the advantage of detecting and removing gross errors over the least squares method especially in cases of observation contains large-sized errors. Moreover, the Modified M-estimator (IGGIII) method has the best performance and accuracy. Furthermore, gross error was also revealed in the residuals.
. Andersen R. (2008). Modern Methods for Robust Regression. Sag Publications, London.
. Andrews D.F (1974). A Robust Method for Multiple Linear Regression. Technometrics, 16.
. Berberan A (1995). Multiple Outlier Detection, A Real Case Study. Survey Review, 33, pp. 41-49.
. Faig, W. and K. Owolabi (1988a). Distributional Robustness in Bundle Adjustment. Proceedings of ACSM-ASPRS Annual Convention, St. Louis.
. Faig W. and K. Owolabi (1988b). The Effect of Image Point Density on Photo-variant and Photo-invariant Bundle Adjustment. International Archives of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, XVI(A)3, Comm III.
. Hogg R.V (1979). Statistical Robustness: One View of its use in Application Today. The American Statistician, 33(3).
. Holland P.W and R.E Welsch (1977). Robust Regression Using Iteratively Reweighted Least Squares. Communications in Statistics, A6.
. Huber P.I (1964). Robust Estimation of Location Parameter. Annals of Mathematical Statistics, 35.
. Huber P.I (1972). Robust Statistics: A Review, the 1972 WALD Lecture. Annals of Mathematical Statistics, 43.
. Huber P.I (1973). Robust Regression: Asymptotic, Conjectures and Monte Carlo. Annals of Statistics, 1.
. Huber P.I (1977). Robust Methods of Estimation of Regression Coefficients. Mathematic Operations for stung Statistic, Series Statistics, 8(1).
. Karara H. M and W. Faig (1980). An Expose on Photogrammetric Data Acquisition Systems in Close-range Photogrammetry. International Archives of Photogrammetry, XIV(5).
. Kilpela E (1980). Compensation of Systematic Errors in Bundle Adjustment. International Archives of Photogrammetry, 23(B9).
. Kraus K. (2004). Photogrammetrie, Band 3, Topographische Informations systeme. Dümmler Verlag, Bonn, pp. 188.
. Kubik K. and D. Merchant (1986). Photogrammetric Work without Blunders. Proceedings American Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Fall Convention, Baltimore.
. Luhmann T, Wendt K (2000). Recommendations for an Acceptance and Verification Test of Optical 3-D Measurement Systems. International Archives for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 33(5), pp. 493-499, Amsterdam.
. Mevlut Y (2017). Application of robust estimation in geodesy using the harmony search algorithm. Spatial Science, 63 (13): pp. 1-11, DOI: 10. 1080 / 14498596. 2017. 1341856.
. Sergio B (2007). Global Optimization Solution of Robust Estimation. Journal of Surveying Engineering, 133 (3), DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9453(2007)133:3(123).
. Xie L, Jingxue W, Min C. and Han H (2016). An Asymmetric Re-Weighting Method for the precision Combined Bundle Adjustment of Aerial Oblique Images. Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 117, pp. 92-107, DOI: 10.1016/j. isprsjprs. 2016. 03. 017.
. Yang Y, song L, and Xu T (2001). Robust Estimator for the Adjustment of Correlated GPS Networks. First International Symposium on Robust Statistics and Fuzzy Techniques in Geodesy and GIS, March 12-16, Zurich/Switzerland.
. Yohai VJ, Rousseeuw PJ (1984). Robust Regression by Means of S-Estimator. Lecture Notes in Statistics, No. 26, Springer-Verlag, New York, pp. 256-272.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.