Antioxidant and Inhibition of Elastase Effect of Scutellarein and Apigenin
AbstractAging process in the skin was begun from the time when one is born, especially skin. Cutaneous aging can be caused by intrinsic and/or extrinsic factors. Wrinkles, thinning, and roughening of skin are part of skin aging. It becomes important looking for natural sources to prevent aging process. Apigenin and Scutellarein are potential phytochemistry which have antioxidant and anti-elastase effects. The purpose of this study is investigate antioxidant and anti-elastase effects of Apigenin and Flavonoid. Determination of Antioxidant Activity of Apigenin and Scutellarien was using FRAP Methods while anti-elastase activity was determined by inhibition of Elastase from Porcine Pancreas. The result of this study was expressed by Mean ± SD and analyzed by One Way analysis of variance (ANOVA) and Turkey HSD Post Hoc Test as a Further Analysis. Both of Scutellarein or Apigenin had the most potent antioxidant activity at the highest concentration (50 µg/ml). The FRAP Activity of Scutellarein or Apigenin at Highest concentration are 250.22 ±2.3 and 29.05 ±5.88 µg Fe (II), respectively. Antioxidant activity of Scutellarein are more potent than apigenin at various concentration and was shown differences at P value < 0.05. Same like antioxidant activity, anti-elastase activity of Scutellarein and apigenin has most potent inhibition effect at the highest concentration (66.67 µg/ml) which are 87.96 ± 1.63 and 28.33 ± 4.45 %, respectively while at various concentration of apigenin and scutellarein had differences percent inhibition of elastase at P value < 0.05. Scutellarein and Apigenin had antioxidant and anti-elastase activity. Each concentration of scutellarein had more potent antioxidant and anti-elastase activity than apigenin.
S. Zhang dan E. Duan, “Fighting against Skin Aging: The Way from Bench to Bedside,” Cell Transplantation, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 729-738, 2018.
I. K. Sundaram, D. D. Sarangi, V. Sundararajan, S. George dan S. S. Mohideen, “Poly Herbal Formulation with Anti-Elastase and Anti-Oxidant Properties for Skin Anti-Aging,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 18, no. 33, pp. 1-12, 2018.
E. Minareci dan S. Pekonur, “An Important Euroasian Genus: Scutellaria L. Int,” J. Sec. Metabolite, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 35-46, 2017.
W. Widowati, L. Darsono, J. Suherman, Y. Yelliantty dan Maesaroh, “High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC),” Int. J Biosci, Biochem, Bioinform, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 458-466, 2014.
W. Widowati, N. Fauziah, H. Herdiman, M. Afni, E. Afifah, H. S. W. Kusuma, H. Nufus, S. Arumwardana dan D. D. Rihibiha, “Antioxidant and anti aging assays of Oryza sativa extracts, vanillin and coumaric acid,” J. Nat. Remed, vol. 3, no. 88-99, p. 16, 2016.
W. Widowati, A. P. Rani, R. A. Hamzah, S. Arumwardana, E. Afifah, H. S. W. Kusuma, D. D. Rihibiha, H. Nufus and A. Amalia, "Antioxidant and antiaging assays of Hibiscus sabdariffa extract and its compounds," Nat. Prod. Sci, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 192-200, 2017.
W. Widowatia, W. J. B, S. Nadya, A. Amalia, S. Arumwardana, H. S. W. Kusuma dan Y. Arinta, “Antioxidant and Antiaging Activities of Jasminum Sambac Extract, and its Compounds,” J. Reports Pharmaceutic. Sci, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 270-285, 2018.
T. S. Thring, P. Hilli dan D. P. Naughton, “Anti-collagenase, anti-elastase and anti-oxidant activities of extracts from 21 plants`,” BMC Complement Altern Med, vol. 9, no. 27, pp. 1-11, 2009.
S. Utami, Q. R. Sachrowardi, N. A. Damayanti, A. Wardhana, I. Syarif, S. Nafik, B. C. Arrahman, H. S. W. Kusuma dan W. Widowati, “Antioxidants, anticollagenase and antielastase potentials of ethanolic extract of ripe sesoot (Garcinia picrorrhiza Miq.) fruit as antiaging,” J Herbmed Pharmacol, vol. 2, no. 88-93, p. 7, 2018.
D. A. Larasati, “Efek Potensial Daun Kemang (Ocimum basilicum L.) sebagai Pemanfaatan Hand Sanitizer,” Jurnal Majority, vol. 5, no. 5, 2016.
National Center for Biotechnology Information, “Scutellarein, CID- 5281697,” PubChem Database, [Online]. Available: https///pubchem.ncbi.nih.gov/compound/5281697. [Diakses 24 March 2019].
National Center for Biotechnology Information , “Apigenin, CID=5280443,” PubChem Database, [Online]. Available: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/5280443. [Diakses 24 March 2019].
A. N. Panche, A. D. Diwan dan S. R. Chandra, “Flavonoid: an Overview,” Journal of Nutritional Science, vol. 5, no. e47, pp. 1-15, 2016.
S. Pientaweeratch, V. Panapisal dan A. Tansirikongkol, “Antioxidant, Anti-Collagenase and Anti-Elastase Activities of Phyllanthus emblica, Manilkara zapota and Silymarin: an In Vitro Comparative Study for Anti-Aging Applications,” Pharmaceutical Biology, vol. 54, no. 9, pp. 1865-1872, 2016.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.