Characterization of Lateritic Banka Gravelous (West Cameroon) for Their Use in Road Geotechnical
AbstractIn Cameroon, as in most tropical countries, the use of lateritic gravel in road construction is of great interest because of its abundance. The locality of Banka located in the department of Haut-Nkam (West-Cameroon) abounds several lateritic zones with little known characteristics. These lateritic materials are however very popular in the locality for their main use in the periodic maintenance of unpaved roads. The geotechnical identification tests carried out on 18 samples taken from the Banfeko, Bakoye and Ketcho sites have shown that the density values of the solid grains are greater than 2.57 g / cm3. The values of the plasticity indices are between 17.89 and 25.38 and those of consistency between 1,56 and 2.12 for these gravelly lateritic plastic consistency to firm. Granulometric analysis shows that the fines are less than 35%. The optimum water content values for compaction with modified Proctor energy are between 11% and 14% and those for dry optimum densities around 2.1. The values of the CBR lift index are between 31 and 51.92. These soils are subclass B6 according to the GTR and subclasses A-2-7 (1) and A-2-7 (2) according to the HRB.The particle size curves of the various samples analyzed are relatively well inscribed in the reference spindles of the materials recommended by the CEBTP for the road construction as a base course and as a base layer for these soils of the S5 lift class. But their use as a base layer requires an improvement of the bearing capacity, because the value of the CBR remains less than 80 to 95% of the modified Proctor optimum.
Sikali F.et al., 1986. Use of Laterites in Road Technology in Cameroon, report LABOGENIE, pp 277-288.
Ghogue, 2009. Laboratory and in-situ tests and their interpretations for geotechnical studies and control, 15p.
NF P 94-050 , 1995. Sols : Soils: recognition and testing - Determination of weight Content of materials - Steaming method.
NF P 94-058 ,1993. Soils. Recognition and testing - Determination of the density of solid particles by hydrostatic weighing.
NF P 94-056, 1996. Soils. Acknowledgments and tests. Particle size analysis Underwater. sieving. AFNOR, 16p.
NF P 94-093, 1999 Normal Proctor Assays - Modified Proctor Assay. AFNOR, 19p.
NF P 94-078, 1997. Soils: Recognition and testing. CBR index after immersion Immediate CBR index - Immediate indext. AFNOR, 12p.
NF P 94-051, 1995. Soils: determine liquidity and plasticity limits. AFNOR, 15p
Téjani A., 2008. Physical and mechanical characterization of ferralitic soils of Bafoussam and their correlations, PhD Thesis in Engineering Science, 121p.
Lohnes, R., & Demirel, T., 1973. Strength and structure of laterites and lateritic soils, Eng. Geol., 13-33.
Bohi, Z., 2008. Characterization of lateritic soils used in road construction: Case of the Agnéby Region (Ivory Coast). Doctoral thesis National School of Bridges and Roads, 121p.
Djuickouo C.N., 2012 Geotechnical characterization of lateritic gravel on basalts of the Maka area (Dschang, west-Cameroon), presented memory for a Secondary School Teacher's Diploma General Second Rank (D.I.P.E.S II) ,70p.
CEBTP, 1984. Practical guide for pavement design for tropical countries. ISBN 2-11-084-811-1, 154p.
Ananfouet Djeufack C.Y., 2012. Mapping and geotechnical characterization of soils developed on volcanic rocks of the city of Dschang, Master memory II, Fac. sciences, univ.de Dschang, 89 p.
Remillon, A., 1967. Road research undertaken in French-speaking Africa. An. Of the Inst. Tech. of Construction and Public Works No. 231, 366-388.
GTR, 1992. Guide of road earthworks, 12p.
Takala, 2017 Geotechnical characterization and evaluation in road construction of the laterites of Batoufam, article, , 16p.
Ngo’o Zé A., 2011 Effects of lime on some physico-mechanical properties of two lateritic gravel from the Akonolinga area (central region). Master II memory.fac. Sci. univ. Yaoundé I, 97 p
Nanga Bineli M.T., 2014. Geological and Geotechnical Characterization of Gravel Lateritic on Granites in the Ebolowa Region (Southern Cameroon), Master II Dissertation , univ.de Yaoundé I, 73 p.
Eyenga P., 2011. Geotechnical characterization of alteration products on Sa'a Quartzites, Master II, univ. from Yaoundé I, 81p.
Autret P., 1982. Contribution to the study, gravelly lateritic. Withdrawal limits Liaison Newsletter of the Bridges and Roads Laboratories, n° 118, pp. 7-16.
Bagarre E., 1990. Use of lateritic gravels in road construction, document from the Institute of Science and Technology of Equipment and the environment for development, 143p.
Geological map of Cameroon, 1972.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.