Fetal and Maternal Risk Factors Associated With Birth Trauma
AbstractBack ground Birth traumas contribute significantly to the perinatal morbidity and mortality, sometimes with long term squeals in developing countries.Objective: To identify the main risk factors associated with birth trauma.Setting: Maternity Teaching Hospital/Baby Care Unit /mosul.Design: Case-control study.Patients: There were 136 cases and 136 controls.Measures: The following variables were recorded : a) maternal variable: age and parity , deliveryvariables: spontaneous vaginal deliveries ,assissted instrumental vacuum or forceps delivries, deliveries by cesarean section ; b) newborn variable : type of injury ,site of injury ,birth weight, gestational age, fetal presentation .Results: Mode of delivery , primiparous , maternal age <35years,delivery by cesarean section were the main risk factors associated to birth injuries. Regarding fetal variables term pregnancy with cephalic presentation and fetal weight >3.5kg were found to be highly associated with birth trauma. Conclusion: Risk factors associated with birth injuries identified in this study involved maternal conditions , neonatal conditions and mechanism of delivery.
. C. Anthony Hughes, Earl H. Harley, Gregory Milmoe, Rupa Bala.Birth Trauma in the Head and Neck... Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005;125:193-199.
. Batool Azra Haider and Zulfiqar A. Bhutta. Birth Asphyxia in Developing Countries .Curr Probl Pediatr Adolesc Health Care 2006; 123:191-199.
. Presller JL. Classification of major newborn birth injuries. J Perinat Neonat Nurs 2008; 22:60–67.
. Looney et al., Brain hemorrhage after vaginal delivery. Radiology 2007;242:535-541.
. Elizabeth Disu; Oluwarotimi Akinola. Birth Trauma In A Tertiary Maternity Unit In South Western Nigeria. Journal of Pediatrics and Neonatology 2007; (7):
. Martin JA, Hamilton BE, Sutton Pd, Ventura SJ, Menacker F, Kirmeyer S. Births: final data for 2004. Natl Vital Stat Rep 2006; 55: 1-101.
. Fabamwo, E. Disu, O. Akinola, L. Adewale & L. Adewole : Birth Trauma In A Tertiary Maternity Unit In South Western Nigeria . The Internet Journal of Pediatrics and Neonatology. 2007 Volume 7 Number 2.
. Yasemin Akın, Serdar Cömert, Cem Turan, Ağzıkuru, Berrin Telatar Macrosomic newborn: a 3 years review . The Turkish Journal of Pediatrics 2006; 55: 1-101.
. Di Renzo GC, Rosati A, Sarti RD, Cruciani L, Cutuli AM. Does fetal sex affect pregnancy outcome? Gend Med 2007; 4: 19- 27
. Mathew M, Machado L, Al-Ghabshi R, Al-Haddabi R. Fetal macrosomia. Risk factor and outcome. Saudi Med J 2005; 26: 96-100.
. R.L Goldenberg, E.McClur,M.Nalbumbah .still birth in developing countries. International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics
Volume 94, Issue 2 , Pages 82-90, August 2006
. B.Visnu Bhat,Alok Kumar. Bone injuries during delivery. Indian Journal of PediatricsVolume 61, Number 4, 401-405, 2008 .
. Seth J. Scholer, Gerald B. Hickson, Wayne A. Ray. Sociodemographic Factors Identify US Infants at High Risk of Injury Mortality. Paediatr Child Health 29:136-140 .
. Al Hadi M, Geary M, Byrne P, McKenna P. Shoulder dystocia: risk factors and maternal and perinatal out come. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2009 Jul;21(4):352-4.
. JH. Laing , D H.Hamison.B M Jones ,G J Laing. Is permanent congenital facial palsy caused by birth trauma. Arch Dis Child. 2008 January; 74(1): 56–58.
. Lindsay CA. Pregnancy complicated by diabetes mellitus. In: Martin RJ, Fanaroff AA, Walsh MC (eds). Fanaroff and Martin’s Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine. Diseases of the Fetus and Infant (8th ed). Philadelphia: Mosby Elsevier; 2006: 326-327.
. Di Renzo GC, Rosati A, Sarti RD, Cruciani L, Cutuli AM. Does fetal sex affect pregnancy outcome? Gend Med 2007; 4: 19-30.
. Boyd ME, Usher RH, McLean FH. Maternal, fetal macrosomia prediction risks, proposed management. Obstet Gynecol 2007; 61: 715-722.
. Looney et al., Brain hemorrhage after vaginal delivery. Radiology 2007;242:535-541.
. Madan A, Hamrick SEG, Ferriero DM. Central nervous system. injury and protection. In: Taeush HW, Ballard RA, Gleason CA, eds. Avery’s Diseases of the Newborn, 8th ed. Elsevier Saunders, 2005, Pp 965–992.
. Adetokunbo O. Classification of major newborn birth injuries. J Perinat Neonat Nurs 2010; 22:60–67.
. National Center for Health Statistics. Classification of Diseases and Functioning, and Disability. Anthony Hughes, MD: NCHS, 2008. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/icd9cm.htm [last accessed18 November 2009]. Stein W, Delfy A, Schmidt S . Cesarean section on request at 39 weeks: impact on shoulder dystocia, fetal trauma, neonatal encephalopathy, and intrauterine fetal demise. Perinatology 2009; 30:276–287.
. Hughes CA, Harley EH, Milmoe G, Bala R, Martorella A. Birth trauma in the head and neck. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009 Feb;125(2):193-9.
. Moczygemba CK, et al.Birth Trauma in the Head and Neck. Arch Otolaryngol Head and Neck surgery /vol 125, FEB 2010. www.archoto.com on November 4, 2011.
. Mohseni SM, Borna H, Borna S, Rad SM. Incidence of and risk factors for birth trauma in Iran.. Taiwanese Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 2010, 49(2):170-173.
. Rahul K. Nath, Nirupama Kumar, Meera B. Avila, Devin K. Nath, Sonya E. Melcher, Mitchell G. Eichhorn. Risk Factors at Birth for Permanent Obstetric Brachial Plexus Injury and Associated Osseous Deformities. ISRN Pediatr. 2012; 123:121-128.
. Garc H, Rubio-Espritu J, Islas-Rodrguez MT. Risk factors for birth injuries.
. Levine MG, Holroyde J, Woods JR Jr, Siddiqi TA, Scott M, Miodovnik M. Birth trauma: incidence and predisposing factors. Obstet Gynecol. 2009 Jun;63(6):792-5.
. Brennand J, Cameron A. Fetal anaemia: diagnosis and management . Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2008 Feb;22(1):15-29. Epub 2007 Oct 1. Review.
. Leveine, Michel G.; Holroyad, Janes BS; Woods, James R. Scoot, Macherny; Miodovnik , Menacame. Birth trauma: Incidence and Predisposing Factors Obstetrics & Gynecology 2008 ;Volume 63 - Issue 6.
. Pressler JL. Classification of major newborn birth injuries. Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing 2009; 22:60–67.
. Perlow JH, Wigton T, Hart J, Strassner HT, Nageotte MP, Wolk BM. Birth trauma. A five-year review of incidence and associated perinatal factors. J Reprod Med.2009 Oct;41(10):754-60.
Vergil N. Slee. The International Classification of Diseases: Ninth Revision (ICD-9). Ann Intern Med. 1 March 1978;88(3):424-426.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.