Educational Culture and Popular Culture: Case Study Festivals in Sai Gon South International School, Ho Chi Minh City
AbstractEducation, whose main object is pulpils and students – the young living in a continuosly connected environment, is characterized by endless diversity, regular interactions, the requirement for considering and examining the relation and influence of popular culture on education is essential and inevitable because “Whether we like it or not, popular culture touches all of our lives and the lives of our students. As educators, we cannot ignore popular culture”. SaiGon South International School (located at 78 Nguyen Duc Canh Street, Tan Phong ward, District 7, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam) is one of the International Schools established earliest in Vietnam (over 20 years). This is the school following the curriculum of the United States situated in the East manifesting a multicultural environment with its objectives to create global citizens, who have quick responses to the changes of the times; moreover, popular culture is most focused and integreated into education and the curriculum of the school. In this paper, inheriting from previous studies and research on the relation between educational culture and popular one of some eminent scholars such as Diana Silbermanoo-Keller, Zvi Bekerman, Henry A. Giroux, and Nicholas C. Burbules; Jessica Wilson; John Morgan; L. Harklau and J. Zuengler; Owen Roberts; Robert Petrone; William Clapton as well as applying the structural chart of popular culture house created by John G. Jachbar, Kevin Lausé 1992 into the topic “Educational culture and popular culture: Case study Festivals in Sai Gon South International School, Ho Chi Minh City”, the writer analysed the values of educational culture reflected in mass festivals celebrated at SaiGon South International School by using opposite pairs like individual : collective; rests : studies; mass culture : elite culture; particularity : universality.
Diana Silbermanoo-Keller, Zvi Bekerman, Henry A. Giroux, and Nicholas C. Burbules (2008), Mirror images: popular culture and Education, New York, Peter Lang.
Jessica Wilson (2014), Popular Culture and Education, https://prezi.com/rqc6sqhb2ipk/popular-culture-and-education/ [November 2016].
John Morgan (2010), Popular Culture and Geography Education, http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10382040108667446 [October 2016].
L. Harklau and J. Zuengler, 2004, Introduction to Proposed Special Issue: Popular Culture and Classroom Language Learning, Linguistics and education 14, 227 – 230.
Owen Roberts (2014), A Framework for improving school systems in the 21 st century, http://www.ithenticate.com [November 2016].
Phan Thu Hiền (2013), Văn hóa thời gian rỗi và văn hóa đại chúng – trường hợp giờ thứ 9 trên HTV (http://www.vanhoahoc.vn/nghien- cuu/van-hoa-hoc-ung-dung/van-hoa-dai-chung/2775-phan-thi-thu-hien- van-hoa-thoi-gian-roi-va-van-hoa-dai-chung-truong-hop-gio-thu-9-tren- htv.html [October 2016]
Phan Thu Hiền (2016), Tiếp cận văn hóa so sánh và văn hóa đại chúng trong nghiên cứu hệ giá trị (trường hợp văn hóa Hàn quốc) (http://www.vanhoahoc.vn/nghien-cuu/van-hoa-the-gioi/van-hoa-trung-hoa-va-dong-bac-a/2737-phan-thi-thu-hien-tiep-can-van-hoa-so-sanh-va-van-hoa-dai-chung-trong-nghien-cuu-he-gia-tri.html) [October 2016].
Robert Petrone (2003), Linking Contemporary Research on Youth, Literacy, and Popular Culture With Literacy Teacher Education, http://scholarworks.montana.edu/xmlui/handle/1/9556 [October 2016]
William Clapton (2015), Pedagogy and Pop Culture: Pop Culture as Teaching Tool and Assessment Practice, http://www.e-ir.info/2015/06/23/pedagogy-and-pop-culture-pop-culture-as-teaching-tool-and-assessment-practice/ [October 2016].
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.