Sandy Soils Improvement in Brazil
AbstractDesigning geotechnical projects requires greater attention due to the importance of sustaining the building and transmission of loads to the ground. In this way, geotechnologies have been developed toward guaranteeing security and lowering cost for a building, as some methods of soil improvement to make shallow foundations feasible. The objective of this work is to present selected methods of sandy soils improvement in Northeastern Brazil, verifying the most common compaction columns in the region. Furthermore, this work demonstrates the technical feasibility of a new method of compacting sandy soils: terra-probe without material introduction. As a result of applying this technique, the treated massif obtained an increase in resistance and, consequently, an increase in its load capacity, as well as reduced the foundations settlements significantly.
. K. R. Massarsch; B. H. Fellenius. “Deep Vibratory Compaction of Granular Soils”, in Ground Improvement Case Histories: Compaction, Grouting, and Geosynthetics. 1st ed., vol. 1. B. Indraratna; J. Chu; C. Rujikiatkamjorn. Ed. Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann, 2015, pp.111-134.
. V. B. Soares; W. C. Soares. Estacas de compactação: Melhoramento de Solos Arenosos com Estacas de Compactação. João Pessoa, PB: Editora Paraibana, 2004, pp 176.
. J. K. Mitchell. “In-place Treatment of Foundations Soils”, in Proc. Specialty Conference on Placement and Improvement of Soil to Support Structures, 1968, pp. 93-130.
. J. K. Mitchell. “Soil Improvement – State of the Art Report”, in Proc. 10th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, 1981, pp. 509-565.
. J. A. Gusmão Filho; A. D. Gusmão. “Contribuição ao Estudo do Melhoramento de Terrenos Arenosos”, in Proc. 9th Congresso Brasileiro de Mecânica dos Solos e Engenharia de Fundações, 1990, pp. 395-402.
. P. G. O. Passos. “Melhoramento de Solos Arenosos com Estacas de Areia e Brita”. Ph.D. Dissertation, Universidade de Brasília, Brasil, 2005.
. J. A. Gusmão Filho. Fundações do Conhecimento Geológico à Prática da Engenharia. Recife, PE: Editora universitária UFPE, 1998, pp. 345.
. M. L. Moraes. “Estacas de Compactação para Melhoramento de Solos Arenosos Fofos e Uso do Penetrômetro Dinâmico Pesado na Avaliação dos Resultados”. M.Sc. Thesis. Universidade Federal do Espírito Santo, Brasil, 2008.
. Z. C. Moh; C. D. Ou; S. M. Woo; K. Yu. “Compaction Sand Piles for Soil Improvement”, in Proc. 10th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, 1981, pp. 749-752.
. A. S. Neves. “Análise do Uso do Método de Terra Probe para Compactação de Terrenos Arenosos”. Senior Project, Universidade de Pernambuco, Recife, Brasil, 2010.
. J. L. Pacheco. “Estudo de Técnicas de Melhoramento de Terrenos Superficiais Arenosos no Recife”. M.Sc Thesis, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Brasil, 2002.
. A. D. Gusmão. “Melhoramento de Terrenos Arenosos”, in Geotecnia no Nordeste. 1st ed., vol. 1. A. D. Gusmão; J. A. Gusmão Filho; J. T. Oliveira; G. D. B. Maia, Ed. Recife: Editora universitária UFPE, 2005.
. A. M. L. Alves. “Contribuição ao Estudo de Estacas de Compactação em Solos Granulares”. M.Sc. Thesis, COPPE, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, 1998.
. A. D. Gusmão; J. A. Gusmão Filho; J. L. Pacheco. “Interação Solo-Estrutura em um Edifício com Fundação em Terreno Melhorado”, presented at the Simpósio Interação Estrutura-Solo em Edifícios, São Carlos, Brasil, 2000.
. J. A. Gusmão Filho. "Contribuição à Pratica de Fundações: A Experiência do Recife”. Dissertation for Full Professor Contest, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Brasil, 1995.
. F. G. Bell. Engineering Treatment of Soils. London, UK: E & FN Spoon, 1993.
. M. E. M. Pôrto. “Melhoramento de Terreno com Colunas de Compactação pela Técnica Terra-Probe sem Introdução de Material: Estudo de Caso”. Senior Project, Universidade Católica de Pernambuco, Brasil, 2020.
. A. D. Gusmão; P. E. Oliveira; M. D. P. Amorim. “Estudo Comparativo de Métodos de Melhoramento de Solos no Recife”, in Proc. Seminário de Engenharia de Fundações Especiais e Geotecnia. 2012.
. M. D. P. Amorim. “Proposta de Modelo de Transferência de Carga de Fundação Superficial em Terreno Melhorado com Estacas de Compactação”. M.Sc Thesis, Universidade de Pernambuco, Brasil, 2019.
. J. E. Bowles. Foundation Analysis and Design. New York, USA: McGraw-Hill, 1996.
Copyright (c) 2021 American Academic Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.