Management of Rare Case of Massive Bleeding from a Right-sided Colonic Diverticular Disease
AbstractBleeding related to diverticular disease occurs in 10 to 30% of patients suffering from diverticular disease. The source is more frequently in the right colon. Typically, the bleeding is massive, with 15% of the patients admitted in shock . We report a case of 70 year old man presented to the emergency department with sudden rectal bleeding in need of transfusion, just after two days of non steroidal anti-inflammatory auto medication for joint pain. The patient treated with oral anticoagulation for coronary artery disease. Laboratory findings revealed very low hemoglobin of 5,1 g/dl when the patient presented at hospital. The esophagogastroduodenoscopy was normal. An abdominal computed tomography (CT) revealed contrast extravasation in the ascending colon from a solitary diverticulum .we didn’t have the ability to perform an artery embolization or an endoscopic treatment especially because the patient was shocked. So the patient was operated and a right hemicolectomy was performed. After the surgery he recovered quickly and no bleeding recurred.
. Gabrielli F, Chiarelli M, Guttadauro A, Poggi L, Pauna I, Lovaria A. Il sanguinamento nella malattia diverticolare del colon [Bleeding in diverticular disease of the colon]. Ann Ital Chir. 1998 Jul-Aug;69(4):451-7. Italian. PMID: 9835119.]
. So JB, Kok K, Ngoi SS. Right-sided colonic diverticular disease as a source of lower gastrointestinal bleeding. Am Surg. 1999 Apr;65(4):299-302. PMID: 10190349.]
. Keller P, Marescaux J. Hémorragie des diverticules coliques [Colonic diverticular haemorrhage]. Rev Prat. 1995 Apr 15;45(8):983-9. French. PMID: 7761783.
. Hayim Gilshtein, Yoram Kluger, Areen Khoury, Nidal Issa, Wisam Khoury,Massive and recurrent diverticular hemorrhage, risk factors and treatment,International Journal of Surgery, Volume 33, Part A, 2016, Pages 136-139, ISSN 1743-9191, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsu.2016.07.076
. Adams JB, Margolin DA. Management of diverticular hemorrhage. Clin Colon Rectal Surg. 2009;22(3):181-185. doi:10.1055/s-0029-1236163
. Cirocchi R, Grassi V, Cavaliere D, Renzi C, Tabola R, Poli G, Avenia S, Farinella E, Arezzo A, Vettoretto N, D'Andrea V, Binda GA, Fingerhut A. New Trends in Acute Management of Colonic Diverticular Bleeding: A Systematic Review. Medicine (Baltimore). 2015 Nov;94(44):e1710. doi: 10.1097/MD.0000000000001710. PMID: 26554768; PMCID: PMC4915869.
Copyright (c) 2021 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.