BER and Capacity/Spectral Efficiency Enhancement of MIMO Systems Using Digital Antenna Arrays Beamforming
AbstractMulti-input Multi-output (MIMO) systems are of the most promising ones in the field of wireless communications as they provide high data rates and reduce the bit error rate (BER) using spatial multiplexing (SM) and diversity gain techniques, respectively. The deep review of MIMO systems shows that most of them are based on the utilization of uniform linear antennas (ULA) arrays. For further performance enhancement, a new digital array beamforming technique for linear antenna arrays optimization is introduced for both single-user and multi-user MIMO systems to achieve maximum gain. In our proposed technique, the antenna arrays are implemented for a higher gain by adjusting the feeding and the distance between the antenna elements. The modified mathematical model for our proposed digital array beamforming MIMO system has been derived and merged to the current linear detection techniques such as Maximum Likelihood (ML), Zero Forcing (ZF), and Minimum Mean Square Error (MMSE). The simulation results demonstrated the superiority of our proposed technique over the traditional MIMO systems in terms of BER and spectral efficiency (SE).
. Javornik, T., Kandus, G., Plevel, S., & Tomazic, S. (2008). MIMO: Wireless Communications.
. Sridhanya, A., Abhiram, Y., Guru, P. D., & Varsha, S. S. (2012). On the Design of MIMO-OFDM Transceivers via Geometric Mean Decomposition. International Journal of Computer Applications, 43(19), 7-14.
. Ali, A. B., Yung-Wey, C., Sabri, M. H., & Tat-Chee, W. (2015). On the Optimizing of LTE System Performance for SISO and MIMO Modes.Third International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Modelling and Simulation, 412-416.
. Nidhi, K.M., & Suresh, R. H. (2016). Analysis of MIMO-OFDM using Different Modulation Techniques International Journal of Computer Applications. , 153(6), 37-40.
. J. Garcia-Frias and J. D. Villasenor, "Joint Turbo Decoding and Estimation of Hidden Markov Sources," in IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 1671-1679, Sept. 2001.
. Ilmiawan, S., & Yukitoshi, S. (2017). Joint Turbo Decoding for Overloaded MIMO-OFDM Systems.IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON VEHICULAR TECHNOLOGY, 66(1), 433-442.
. Reham, W., Abd-Elsalam, Amr ,H. H., & Mahmoud ,A. A. (2016). Performance Enhancement of MIMO Detectors using Wavelet De-noising Filters. International Journal of Engineering & Technology, 5(4), 131-134.
. Samar, I. F., Mustafa, M. A. E., Amr, H. H., & Fathi E. A. (2016). Hybrid Techniques for Fast and Low Complexity MIMO Detection. ICCTA 2016, 25-27 October 2016, Alexandria, Egypt, 98-103.
. Vijay, V., & Alle–Jan, v. d. V. (2010). Analog Beamforming in MIMO Communications with Phase Shift Networks and Online Channel Estimation. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 58(8), 4131–4143.
. Fouad, G., Javir,V., & Ignacio, S. (2011). Beamforming Design for Simplified Analog Antenna Combining Architectures.IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 60(5), 2373–2378.
. Le, L., Wie, X., & Xiaodai, D. (2014). Low-complexity Hybrid Precoding in Massive Multiuser MIMO Systems.IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, 3(6), 653–656.
. Shuangfeng, H., Chih-Lin, I., Zhikun, X., & Corbett, R. (2015). Large-scale Antenna Systems with Hybrid Analog and Digital Beamforming for Millimeter Wave 5G. IEEE Communications Magazine, 53(1), 186–194.
. Liu, Y., Nie, Z., & Liu, Q. H. (2008). Reducing the Number of Elements in a Linear Antenna Array by the Matrix Pencil Method. IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. ,56(9), 2955-2962.
. Liu, Y., Liu, Q. H., & Nie ,Z. (2010). Reducing the Number of Elements in the Synthesis of Shaped-beam Patterns by the Forward-backward Matrix Pencil Method.IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., 58(2), 604-608.
. Liu, Y., Nie, Z., & Liu ,Q. H. (2010). A New Method for the Synthesis of Non-uniform Linear Arrays with Shaped Power Patterns.Progress In Electromagnetics Research, 107, 349-363.
. Kumar, B. P., & Branner , G. R. (1999). Design of Unequally Spaced Arrays for Performance Improvement,. IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., 47 (3) , 511–523.
. Marcano, D., & Duran , F. (2000). Synthesis of Antenna Arrays using Genetic Algorithms. IEEE Antennas Propag. Magazine, 42(3), 12-20.
. Kurup, D. G., Himdi, M., & Rydberg, A. (2003). Synthesis of Uniform Amplitude Unequally Spaced Antenna Array using the Differential Evolution Algorithm. IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., 51(9), 2210–2217.
. Amr, H. H., Haythem, H. A., Ahmed , M.S., Salah, K., & Mohamed, N. (2011). Optimum Design of Linear Antenna Arrays Using a Hybrid MoM/GA Algorithm. IEEE, Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 10,1232-1235.
. Ho, S. L., & Shiyou , Y. (2009). Multiobjective Synthesis of Antenna Arrays using a Vector Tabu Search Algorithm. IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., 8, 947-950.
. Murino, V., Trucco, A., & Regazzoni, C. S. (1996). Synthesis of Unequally Spaced Arrays by Simulated Annealing. IEEE Trans. Signal Process., 44(1), 119–122.
. Kesong, C., Xiaohua , Y., Zi , S., H., & Chunlin Han (2007). Synthesis of Sparse Planar Arrays using Modified Real Genetic Algorithm. IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. , 55(4), 1067–1073.
. Jin , N., & Rahmat-Samii , Y. (2007). Advances in Particle Swarm Optimization for Antenna Designs: Real-number, Binary, Single-objective and Multi objective Implementations. IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., 55(3) , 556–567.
. Yong, S. C., Jaekwon , K., Won, Y.Y., & Chung-Gu, K. (2010). MIMO-OFDM Wireless Communications With MATLAB. Singapore: Wiley.
. Constantine, A. B. (2005). Antenna Theory: Analysis and
Copyright (c) 2021 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.