Foaming in Seawater Backpressure Tower
AbstractAccording to the literature, a small to moderate amount of foaming usually takes place in cooling water systems. However, in this case study, foam was found to overflow the sidewall of the tower and reach the equipment of the plant located around the tower. In order to protect the sea life, the proposed solution is based on mechanical foam control. For a more efficient defoaming, we are proposing to increase the height of the sidewall of the tower by 2.1 m in order to avoid overflow and have enough time for the spray hollow cone nozzle to destroy the foam. A controlled amount of anti-foaming agents based on Silicone and Acrylate Copolymers could be added if any foam is remaining after the mechanical control.
. Pugh, R.J., 1996. Foaming, foam films, antifoaming and defoaming. Advances in Colloid and Interface Science 64, 67.
. Napolitano, G.E., Cicerone, D.S., 1999. Lipids in water-surface microlayers and foams. In: Arts, M.T., Wainmann, B.C. (Eds.), Lipids in Freshwater Ecosystems, pp. 235e262.
. Marco Mancini, 2005, Structure and Evolution of Soap-Like Foams, THESE Presentee pour obtenir le grade de docteur de l’universite de Cergy-Pontoise Specialite: Physique Theorique.
. Holmberg, K., Jonsson, B., Kronberg, B., Lindman, B., 2003. Foaming of Surfactant Solutions. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
. Christopher James William Breward, 1999, The Mathematics of Foam, St Anne’s College, University of Oxford A thesis submitted for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy June 1999.
. Butt, Hans-Jürgen; Graf, Karlheinz; Kappl, Michael (2006). "Physics and Chemistry of Interfaces": Vol 9.
. Gennes, Pierre-Gilles de; Francoise Brochard-Wyart; David Quere (2004). Capillarity and Wetting Phenomena. Springer. pp. 7–8. ISBN 978-0-387-00592-8.
. Qing Chang, 2016, Colloid and Interface Chemistry for Water Quality Control, Publisher Elsevier Inc.
.  Katerina Schilling and Matthias Zessner ( 2011), Foam in the aquatic environment, water research 45 (2011) 4355-4366.
. Ruzicka, K., Gabriel, O., Bletterie, U., Winkler, S., Zessner, M., 2009. Cause and effect relationship between foam formation and treated wastewater effluents in a transboundary river. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, Parts A/B/C 34, 565.
. Lu, K.H., Jin, C.H., Dong, S.L., Gu, B.H., Bowen, S.H., 2006. Feeding and control of blue-green algal blooms by tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus). Hydrobiologia 568, 111e120.
. Jacqueline Heard, Emma Harvey, Bruce B Johnson, John. D Wells and Michael J Angove, 2008, The effect of filamentous bacteria on foam production and stability, Colloids and surfaces B: Biointerfaces 63(1):21-6 DOI: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2007.10.011
. Schilling, Katerina; Zessner, Matthias (2011). "Foam in the aquatic environment". Water Research. 45 (15): 4355–4366.
. Sea foam in Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_foam.
. T. Hecht, 1996, Physics Calculus Brooks/Cole Grove CA. pp 445 -450.
. Nozzles for Foam Control, The Spray Nozzle People Website https://www.spray-nozzle.co.uk/spray-nozzle-applications/foam-control
. T.J.Mason, L.Paniwnyk and J.P.Lorimer, 1996, The uses of ultrasound in food technology, Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, Volume 3, Issue 3, November 1996, Pages S253-S260.
. Baharak Sajjadi, Abdul Aziz, AbdulRaman and Shaliza Ibrahim (2015), Influence of ultrasound power on acoustic streaming and micro-bubbles formations in a low frequency sono-reactor: Mathematical and 3D computational simulation, Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, Volume 24, May 2015, Pages 193-203.
. Down W Green and Robert .H. Perry , 2008, Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook, Eighth Edition, Mac Graw Hill Edition.
. Maria Cristina Collivignarelli , Marco Baldi , Alessandro Abbà , Francesca Maria Caccamo , Marco Carnevale Miino , Elena Cristina Rada and Vincenzo Torretta (2020), Foams in Wastewater Treatment Plants: From Causes to Control Methods, Appl. Sci. 2020, 10, 2716.
. Pratima Bajpai, 2015, Pulp and Paper Industry: Chemicals, Publisher E;lsevier Inc.
. Rainer Höfer, Franz Jost, Milan J. Schwuger, Rolf Scharf, Jürgen Geke, Josef Kresse, Herbert Lingmann, Rudolf Veitenhansl and Werner Erwied (2000); "Foams and Foam Control" Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry, 2000, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim.
. American Chemical Society (2014), Molecule of the Week Archive https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/molecule-of-the-week/archive/p/polydimethylsiloxane.html
. Onur GÜVEN, Behzad Vaziri HASSAS, Fırat KARAKAŞ (2013), THE USAGE OF SODIUM BENTONITE IN STYRENE BUTYL ACRYLATE COMPOSITES, Proceedings of the XV Balkan Mineral Processing Congress, Sozopol, Bulgaria, June 12 – 16.
. Marianne Duncanson (2001 ); Controlling Oil Aeration and Foam; Machinery lubrication. https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/255/oil-foam#:~:text=Most%20studies%20show%20no%20incompatibility,form%20larger%20molecules%20called%20micelles.
. BL02UEC7 ( 2019), Aeration and foaming in lubricating oil OilChat#49, Blue Chip Lubricants http://www.bcl.co.za/news/antifoam/
. Wally Georgie (2013), Webinar Highlights Effects of Foam in Separators, Oil gas facilities, Volume: 2 Issue: 4.
. M.D.Morey, N.S.Deshpande and , 1999, Foam Destabilization by Mechanical and Ultrasonic Vibrations, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Volume 219, Issue 1, 1 November 1999, Pages 90-98
. R. Mawson and A.B. Pandit, 2016, Airborne Ultrasound for Enhanced Defoaming Applications, Innovative Food Processing Technologies, Edited by: Kai Knoerzer, Pablo Juliano and Geoffrey.
. Alexander G. Bick, William D. Ristenpart, Ernst A. van Nierop and Howard A. Stone, 2011, Journal of Fluids Engineering, MAY 2011, Vol. 133 / 044503-1
Copyright (c) 2021 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.