Teaching Practices in Mathematics During COVID-19 Pandemic: Challenges for Technological Inclusion in a Rural Brazilian School
AbstractThe pandemic caused by COVID-19, on a global scale, brought an unprecedented situation for students from all over the world: the closure of schools. This study presents this theme under the perspective of a rural Brazilian school, located in a town in the interior of the state of Rio de Janeiro. Since the closure of schools as a health strategy for the control of the pandemic, the government of the state of Rio de Janeiro adopted the distance learning for school activities, most of which was achieved through technological mediation. This strategy to face the problem highlight reflections on inequality of access to the internet and the different roles played by the school, in addition to cognitive aspects. Considering as a research object the class of ninth grade of elementary school, and as a research theme their mathematics activities in distance learning, it was possible, through a case study, to analyze advances and setbacks in the learning proposal implemented. It is concluded that Brazil, due to its extensive territorial range and multiple specificities, is not yet prepared to legitimize the use of pedagogical practices in mathematics mediated by technology. Investments in infrastructure and teacher training are necessary so that pedagogical proposals mediated by technology can effectively contribute to the training of students.
. Brazil, Ministry of Education (2020). Ordinance No. 343, of March 17,2020: Provides for replacing face-to-face classes with classes in digital media while the New World pandemic lasts Coronavirus - COVID-19.
. Brazil, Ministry of Education (2020). Ordinance No. 345, of March 19,2020: Amends Ordinance No. 343, of 17 March 2020.
. Brazil, Ministry of Education (2020). Ordinance No.473, of May 12, 2020: Extends the term provided for in § 1 of art. 1st of Ordinance No. 343, of 17 March 2020.
. Brazil, Ministry of Education (2020). Ordinance No. 544, of 16 June, 2020: Provides for the replacement of face-to-face classes with classes in digital media, while the pandemic situation of the new coronavirus - Covid-19 lasts, and revokes MEC Ordinances No. 343, of March 17, 2020, No. 345, of March 19, 2020, and nº 473, of May 12, 2020.
. Rio de Janeiro, Council State Department of Education (2020). Resolution No. 376, of March 23, 2020: Guides the institutions that are part of the System State School of the State of Rio de Janeiro on the development of non-classroom school activities, in exceptionality and temporality, as long as the isolation measures provided by the authorities in preventing and combating Coronavirus - COVID-19.
. A. C. Carius. Where is my student? Reflections on technologies and University
Education in Brazil. Ponta Grossa: Atena, 2020, pp. 154-162. doi 10.22533/at.ed.40720180513
. A. C. Carius. CYBERSPACE TOPOLOGY: social networking, collaborative learning, and math beyond the
classroom, 2, 1-24. Available: https://revistas.pucsp.br/emd/article/view/46841. https://doi.org/10.23925/2358-4122.2020v7i2p1-24
. A. C. Gil. Métodos e Técnicas de Pesquisa Social. São Paulo: Atlas, 1999, pp.43-73.
. U. D'Ambrosio. Ethnomathematics link between traditions and modernity. (A. Kepple, Trans.). Rotterdam: Sense Publishers, 2006 (Original work published 2001).
. S. P. N. C. Almeida & F. M. Antunes (2020). Educação do Campo e Etnomatemática: uma articulação possível? Educação Matemática Debate, 4, 1-23. Available: www.periódicos.unimontes.br/index.php/emd/article/view/1855. https://doi.org/10.24116/emd.e202009
Copyright (c) 2020 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.