Design and Implementation of a Mobile-Based Home Security System
AbstractThe security of homes and properties has always been a crucial concern as the rate of burglary and home breaking has been on the increase all through the years. Although various solutions have been proposed to tackle the problem, burglary and home breaking are still rife everywhere every day. The proposed research is a low-cost, highly configurable, and mobile home security system that secures homes from illegal entities attempting to gain illegal entry into such homes. The system was implemented using Arduino with ATmega2560 microcontroller, which was interfaced with a Passive Infrared (PIR) sensor, a 16x2 Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) screen, a 4x4 matrix keypad, a Global System for Mobile Communication (GSM) module, and a burglar alarm. The physical home security system was simulated using Proteus 8 Professional simulation software, while Arduino Integrated Development Environment (AIDE) and the C programming language were used to program the microcontroller instructions on the Arduino ATmega2560 microcontroller. Furthermore, Android Studio and the Java programming language were used to develop an Android mobile application to control and interact with the physical home security system. The results from the system were depicted in snapshots taken during the implementation and testing of the system. Judging from the research findings, it is imperative to adopt this system as a means of effectively securing homes from illegal intrusion. Further research could be done as an add-on to ensure security from internal threats within homes, such as fire and gas leakages with the addition of more sensors.
. PM News, "Jonathan spent $32bn on security, Nigeria still not safe, says APC," 2014. [Online]. Available: https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2014/11/16/jonathan-spent-32bn-on-security-nigeria-still-not-safe-says-apc/. [Accessed 07 August 2020].
. Federal Bureau of Investigation, "FBI - Crime Clock," 2018. [Online]. Available: https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-2018/topic-pages/crime-clock. [Accessed 27 July 2020].
. P. E. Oguntunde, O. O. Ojo, H. I. Okagbue and O. A. Oguntunde, "Analysis of selected crime data in Nigeria," Data in Brief, vol. 19, pp. 1242-1249, 2018.
. N. Sriskanthan, F. Tan and A. Karande, "Bluetooth based home automation system," Microprocessors and Microsystems, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 281-289, 2002.
. B. Choudhury, T. S. Choudhury, A. Pramanik, W. Arif and J. Mehedi, "Design and implementation of an SMS based home security system," in 2015 IEEE International Conference on Electrical, Computer and Communication Technologies (ICECCT), Coimbatore, 2015.
. M. A. B. Sarijari, R. A. Rashid, M. R. A. Rahim and N. H. Mahalin, "Wireless Home Security and Automation System Utilizing ZigBee based Multi-hop Communication," in 2008 6th National Conference on Telecommunication Technologies and 2008 2nd Malaysia Conference on Photonics, Putrajaya, 2008.
. M. S. Islam, "Home security system based on PIC18F452 microcontroller," in IEEE International Conference on Electro/Information Technology, Milwaukee, 2014.
. A. ElShafee and K. A. Hamed, "Design and Implementation of a WiFi Based Home Automation System," International Journal of Computer and Information Engineering, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 1074-1080, 2012.
. O. Sam, "Numbering System," in Intel x86 Microprocessor Assembly Language Programming, Lagos, Lagos: Mic 'N' Dell Ventures, 2014, pp. 1-2.
Copyright (c) 2020 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.