Evaluation of Development in the Children of Seasonal Agricultural Workers
AbstractChildren of seasonal agricultural workers, are a group of migrants in Turkey where agricultural production is intense, having a significant part of the year in unhealthy habitats in agricultural areas and having access to services [1,2]. In this group, many temporary or permanent health problems may arise due to the conditions of accommodation and malnutrition . Our aim is to assess the growth and development of children of seasonal agricultural workers. The study is a cross-sectional field study in the agricultural regions of Eskişehir city and districts starting from 1 July 2017. In our study, children of 119 seasonal agricultural workers under the age of 18 were included. In the study, 11 different agricultural regions were visited and the height, weight, body mass index and head circumference of the children were measured and the percentile values were calculated. In the study group ; children of seasonal agricultural workers were 53 (44.5%) male and 66 (55.5%) female. Their ages ranged from 0 to 16 years with a mean of 7.37 ± 3.58 years. 29.4% of the children of seasonal agricultural workers had both height and weight measurements of 5P or less. Growth and development retardation is one of the important diseases among the children of seasonal agricultural workers.
. Arcury, T. A., & Quandt, S. A. Deliver of health services to migrant and seasonal farmworkers. Annu. Rev. Public Health, 28, 345-363, 2007.
. Donham, K., & Thelin, A. Agricultural medicine: occupational and environmental health for rural health practitioners: Ames, IA: Blackwell Press 2006.
. Weathers, A. C., & Garrison, H. G. Children of migratory agricultural workers: the ecological context of acute care for a mobile population of immigrant children. Clinical Pediatric Emergency Medicine, 5(2), 120-129, 2004.
. Uyan Semerci, P., Erdoğan, E. ve Kavak, S. Mevsimlik gezici tarım işçiliği: araştırma raporu. İstanbul: Hayata Destek Derneği 2014.
. Beleli, Ö. Mevsimlik Tarım İşçiliği ve Çocuklar: Sorun Analizi ve Politika Önerileri. Kalkınma Atölyesi, Ankara 2012.
. Özmert, EN. Erken çocukluk gelişiminin desteklenmesi-II: Çevre. Çocuk Sağlığı ve Hastalıkları Dergisi 48:337-354, 2005.
. On Birinci Kalkınma Planı (2019-2023) Çocuk Ve Gençlik Özel İhtisas Komisyonu Çocuk Çalışma Grubu Raporu Ankara 2018.
. Shonkoff, J. P. ve Phillips, D. (der.). From neurons to neighbourhoods: The science of early childhood development. Washington DC: National Academic Press 2000.
. Jelliffe, D.B.: The Assessment of the Nutritional Status in the Community. Monograph Seies No. 53, Geneva, Svvitzerland, VVorld Health Organization, 1966.
. National Çenter for Health Statistics: Vital and Health Statistics. Series II, publication No. (PHS) 78-1650.
. National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) data collected in its Health Examination Surveys. In: Nelson WE, ed. Textbook of pediatrics. Philadelphia: WB Saunders. 37-9, 1979.
. Desai, I. D., Garcia Tavares, M. L., Dutra de Oliveira, B. S., Desai, M. I., Romero, L. C., Vichi, F. L., ... & Dutra de Oliveira, J. E. Anthropometric and cycloergometric assessment of the nutritional status of the children of agricultural migrant workers in Southern Brazil. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 34(9), 1925-1934, 1981.
. Kilanowski, J. F., & Ryan-Wenger, N. A. Health status in an invisible population: carnival and migrant worker children. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 29(1), 100-120, 2007.
. Ersoy, D.B., Günay, D.T., Güneş H.S. İlköğretim Çağındaki Çocuklarda Bodurluk Ve Obezite ile İlişkisi. Stunting In Primary School Children And Its Association With Obesity.Turkiye Klinikleri Journal of Pediatrics, 16(2), 90-95, 2007.
. Prista A, Maia JA, Damasceno A, Beunen G. Anthropometric indicators of nutritional status: implications for fitness, activity, and health in school-age children and adolescents from Maputo, Mozambique. Am J Clin Nutr 77:952-9, 2003.
. Erkan, T., Yalvaç, S., Erginöz, E., Çullu Çokuğraş, F., & Kutlu, T. İstanbul Üniversitesi Cerrahpaşa Tıp Fakültesi Çocuk Yuvası’ndaki çocukların beslenme durumlarının antropometrik ölçümlerle değerlendirilmesi. Türk Pediatri Arşivi, 42(4), 142-147, 2007.
. Mohsena, M., Hossain, M., Chakraborty, B., Bayes, A., & Rahman, A. Fragıle Envıronment, Seasonalıty And Maternal And Chıldhood Undernutrıtıon In Bangladesh. Journal Of Biosocial Science, 50(5), 579–603, 2018.
Copyright (c) 2020 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.