Determination of Mechanical Properties of Compressible Soil in Littoral's Region of Cameroon: Depths Study of Soils Bordering the Wouri River in Douala.
AbstractThis work deals to the determination of the expansion ratio ( ) and compression index ( ) of soil samples taken at several points around the Wouri coast river of Cameroon. These parameters are the most important soil parameters, necessary to be known before each building project. The undisturbed soils samples are taken at nine different points labeled as P1, P2... P9 at the depths varying from 5m to 9.5 m and distanced around 10 to 15 meters. These studies are motivated by the fact that in this region, mechanical properties of soil have huge effects on buildings. By plotting the void ratio as a function of the logarithm of the pressure, these mechanical parameters are found and compared to that obtained from the inner land of Cameroon, Yaoundé town chosen as an example. As a result, this comparison has allowed us to classify the soil and give some practical advantages when carrying out civil engineering works such as buildings, bridges in coastal area.
. Laskar, A. and Pal, S.K., “Geotechnical characteristics of two different soils and their mixture and relationships between parameters”. EJGE, vol 17, pp. 2821-2832, 2012
. Oke, S.A. and Amadi, A.N.“An assessment of the geotechnical properties of the sub-soil of parts of Federal University of Technology, Minna, Gidan Kwano Campus, for foundation design and construction”., J Sci Educ Technol., vol 1 (2), pp. 87-102, 2008.
. Nwankwoala, H.O. and Warmate, T., “Geotechnical assessment of foundation conditions of a site in Ubima, Ikwerre Local Government Area, Rivers State, Nigeria”, IJERD, vol 9(8), pp.50-63, 2014.
. Norlia Mohamad Ibrahim, Nur Liza Rahim, Roshazita Che Amat, Shamshinar Salehuddin and Nor Afzan Ariffin, “Determination of Plasticity Index and Compression Index of Soil at Perlis” Malaysia ICAAA 2012: pp.95, July 23-24, 2012;
. British Standard Institution.” British Standard Methods of Test for Soils for Civil Engineering Purpose, Part 3”: Chemical and electro-chemical tests. London: BS1377,(1990) ;
. I.O. HIENG, « Étude des paramètres de compressibilité et de cisaillement de l’argile sableuse de la région de douala au Cameroun », Journal of the Academics Cameroon of Sciences vol.3 n3 2003;
. Barth, D. S. and B.J. Mason.. “Soil Sampling Quality Assurance User's Guide”. EPA-600, 4-84-043,1984
. British Standard Institution “British Standard Methods of Test for Soils for Civil Engineering Purpose, Part 1”: General requirements and sample preparation. London: BS1377, 1990.
. British Standard Institution (1990). “British Standard Methods of Test for Soils for Civil Engineering Purpose, Part 2: Classification Test. London: BS1377” ;
. British Standard Institution. “British Standard Methods of Test for Soils for Civil Engineering Purpose, Part 5: Compressibility, permeability and durability test. London: BS1377”,1990
. A. Srindharan , H.B Nagaraj, “Compressibility behavior of remoulded, fine-grained soil and correlation with index properties.”Canadian Geotechnical Journal , vol 37(2), ,pp. 712–722,2000.
. A. Srindharan,Yesim Gurtug “Compressibilty characteristic of soil.”Geotechnical and Geological Engineering vol. 23, pp.615–634,2005; .
. Holtz, R. D. & William, D. K.“An Introduction to Geotechnical Engineering”. New Jersey Prentice Hall; 1981.
. A. Casagrande, “The determination of pre-consolidation load and it’s practical
significance.” In Proc. Int. Conf. Soil Mech. Foundation Engineering,1938
Vol 3, p.60, 1936.
. M. Ngulefac and J. R. Abouat-mbo, “Characterisation of soils in the town of Yaounde” National Advanced School of Engineering Polytechnic, Yaounde,, Final Year Memoire online September 2017
. PETTANG Chrispin, « Eléments d’optimisation de la production d’un habitat urbain décent au Cameroun », Presses Universitaires de Yaoundé, 1999
Copyright (c) 2020 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.