Phytochemical Screening and Evaluation of the Antimicrobial Activity of the Ethanolic Extract of the Leaves of Morus alba L.
AbstractThe search for knowledge of biological activities and phytochemical screening of the species Morus alba L. is non- existent, however the present study came to explore this plant. To perform the phytochemical screening and the evaluation of the antimicrobial activity of the leaves of the species Morus alba L. Experimental analysis, with the collection of leaves of the species to obtain hydroalcoholic extract at 70% and from this extract the main secondary metabolites were identified. And after contributing to the systematic knowledge of the secondary metabolites of Morus alba L., antimicrobial activity was tested from the concentrated extracts of the leaves of the species. Among the extracts tested, the one that presented the most inhibitory activity in S. aureus was the concentrate, then the aqueous and finally the alcoholic. In E. coli strains the extracts showed no effects. Phytochemical tests were performed using the concentrated extract using the methods of reference , where it presented the presence of reducing sugars, phenols and tannins, alkaloids and depsides and depsidones. The research emphasized the microbiological action of the species Morus alba L., as it is a poorly studied plant and may help in the future in the development of new drugs. Phytochemical studies were necessary to confirm this microbiological action, as they were essential for the identification of natural and efficient antibacterial agents.
. BARBOSA, W. L. R.; QUIGNARD, E.; TAVARES, I. C. C.; PINTO, L. N.; OLIVEIRA, F. Q.; OLIVEIRA, R. M. Manual para análise Fitoquímica cromatográfica de extratos Vegetais, Universidade federal do Pará, Centro de Ciências e Saúde, Departamento de Farmácia, Laboratório de Fitoquímica, Bélem do Pará, 2001.
. DEVIENNE, K. F.; RADDI, M. S. G.; POZETTI, G. L. Plantas medicinais aos fitofarmacos, Rev. Bras. Pl. Med., v.6, n.3, p.11-14, 2004.
. SILVA, M.P.L.; ALMASSY, A.A.; SILVA, F.; SILVA, M., Levantamento etnobotânico e etnofarmacológico de plantas medicinais utilizadas por comunidades rurais de mutuípe-ba integrantes do “projeto ervas”. UNIVERSIDADE FEDERAL DO RECONCAVO DA BAHIA, CRUZ DAS ALMAS - BA – BRASIL. Acesso em:16/11/2011.
. JACOMASSI, E. morfoanatomia e histoquímica de órgãos vegetativos e reprodutivos de Brosimum gaudichaudii Trécul (Moraceae) Tese (DOUTORADO) – Instituto de biociências, UNESP - Universidade Estadual Paulista, Botucatu 2006. 73P
.  ZECCA, A. G. D. Botânica sistemática, Apostila de Botânica agrícola, p.59-61, 2011.
. TAKAHASHI, R. Sericicultura: Amoreira (Morus alba L.) Bicho da Seda (Bombyx mori L.). Jaboticabal: FCAV/UNESP. p.135,1988 (apostila).
. JIANG Su Xin Yi Xue Yuan. (New Jiang-Su Medical School working party), Zhong Yao Da Ci Dian (Encyclopaedia of Chinese crude drugs), Shangai: Shanghai Ke Xue Ji Shu Chu Ban She (Shanghai Science and techonology Publisher) 1977.
. PADILHA, M. M.; MOREIRA, L. Q.; MORAIS, F. F.; ARAÚJO, T. H.; ALVES-DA-SILVA, G. Estudo farmacobotânico das folhas de amoreira-preta, Morus nigra L., Moraceae. Revista brasileira de farmacognosia, Alfenas-MG Brasil, v.20, n. 4, p.621-626, 2010.
. DU, J.; HE, Z. D.; JIANG, R. W.; YE, W. C.; XU, H. X.; PUI-HAY, P. Antiviral flavonoids from the root bark of Morus alba L. Phytochemistry, v.62, p.1235-1238, 2003.
. DUFALL, K.G.; NGADJUI, B.T.; SIMEON, K.F.; ABEGAZ, B.M.; CROFT, K.D. Antioxidant activity of prenylated flavonoids from the West African medicinal plant Dorstenia mannii. J. Ethnopharmacol, v.87, p.67-72, 2003.
. SON, J. K. Prenylated flavonoids from the roots of Sophora flavescens with tyrosinase inhibitory activity. Planta Medica, v.69, p.559-61, 2003.
. CHI, Y. S.; JONG, H. G.; SON, K. H.; CHANG, H. W.; KANG, S. S.; KIM, H. P. Effects of naturally occurring prenylated flavonoids on enzymes metabolizing arachidonic acid: Cyclooxygenases and lipoxygenases. Biochem.Pharmacol., v.62, p.1185-1191, 2001.
. DEANS, S. G.; RITCHIE, G. Antibacterial properties of plant essentials oils. Int. J. Food microbiology. v.5, p.165-180, 1987.
. DEANS, S. G.; SVOBODA, K. P. The antimicrobial properties of Marjorian (Origanum marjorana L.) volatiela oil. Flavor and Fragance J. v.5, p.185-190, 1990.
. PAREKH, J.; CHANDA, S. V. In vitro Antimicrobial Activity and Phytochemical Analysis of Some Indian Medicinal Plants. Turk J. Biol. v.31, p.53-58, 2007.
. SOUZA, T. M.; SEVERI, J. A.; SILVA, V. Y. A.; SANTOS, E.; PIETRO, R. C. L. R. Bioprospecção de atividade antioxidante e antimicrobiana da casca de adstringens (Mart.) Coville (Leguminosae-Mimosoidae). Revista de ciências farmacêuticas básica e aplicada, v.28, n.2, p.221-226, 2007.
. FUKAI, T.; SATOH, K.; NOMURA, T.; SAKAGAMI, H. Fitoterapia, v.74, p.720— 724, 2003.
. BRUNETON, J.; Elementos de Fitoquímica y de Farmacognosia, Ed. Acribia, SA: Espanha, 1991.
. SCALBERT, A.; Phytochemistry 1991, 30, 3875.
. BATISTA, F. R.; SILVA, A. M. S. Síntese de (e)-2-estirilcromonas c-preniladas, Dissertações de mestrado, Universidade de Aveiro, 2011.
. FUKAI, T.; SATOH, K.; NOMURA, T.; SAKAGAMI, H. Fitoterapia, v.74, p.720— 724, 2005.
. KANG, T. H.; OH, H. R.; JUNG, S. M.; RYU, J. H.; PARK M, W.; PARK, Y. K.; KIM, S. Y.; Biol. Pharm. Bull., v.29, p. 270—274, 2006.
. DOI, K.; KOJIMA, T.; MAKINO, M.; KIMURA, Y.; FUJIMOTO, Y. Studies on the constituents of the leaves of Morus alba L. Chem. Pharm. Bull., v.49, p.151–153, 2001.
. LEE, S. H.; CHOI, S. Y.; KIM, H.; HWANG, J. S.; LEE, B. G.; GAO, J. J.; KIM, S. Y. Mulberroside F Isolated from the Leaves of Morus alba Inhibits Melanin Biosynthesis. Biol. Pharm. Bull. n.25, v.8, p.1045—1048, 2002.
. ASANO, N.; OSEKI, K.; TOMIOKA, E.; KIZU, H.; MATSUI, K. N-containing sugars from Morus alba and their glycosidase inhibitory activities. Carbohyr. Res, v.259, p.243-255, 1994.
. YAGI, M.; KOUNO, T.; ACYAGI, Y.; MURAI, H. Nippon Nogei Kagaku, v.50, p.571—572, 1976.
. NOMURA, T. (1988). Phenolic compounds of the mulberry tree and related plants. In Fortschritte der Chemie Organischer Naturstoffe/Progress in the Chemistry of Organic Natural Products (pp. 87-201). Springer, Vienna.
. Shi, Y. Q.; Fukai, T.; Sakagami, H.; Chang, W. J.; Yang, P. Q.; Wang, F. P.; Nomura, T. Cytotoxic Flavonoids with isoprenoid groups from Morus mongolica. J. Nat. Prod. v.64, p.181-188, 2001.
. GU, X.; MY, S.; ZHANG, L.; HW, F.; CUI, L.; RZ, C.; DW, Z.; JK, T. UV-B Induced Changes in the Secondary Metabolites of Morus alba L. Leaves. Molecules, v.15, p.2980-2993, 2010.
. ZHISHEN, J.; MENGCHENG, T.; JIANMING, W. The determination of flavonoid contents in mulberry and their scavenging effects on superoxide radicals, Food Chemistry, v.64, p.555-559, 1999.
. FUKAI, T; HANO, Y.; HIRAKURA, K.; NOMURA, T.; UZAWA, J.; FUKUSHIMA, K.; Structures of two natural hypotensive Diels-alder type adducts, mulberrofurans F and G, from the cultivated Mulberry tree. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo), v.33, p.3195–204, 1985.
. JIN, W.Y.; NA, M.K.; AN, R.B.; LEE, H.Y. Antioxidant compounds from twig of Morus alba. Nat Prod Sci., v.8, p.129–32, 2002.
. THIRUMALAISAMY, R., Gowrishankar, J., Suganthapriya, S., Prakash, B., Ashok Kumar, L., & Arunachalam, G. (2009). Genetic variability in Morus alba L. by biochemical and bioassay methods for increased silk productivity. Journal of Biomedical Sciences and Research, 1(1), 11-18.
. ANDRADE, C. A.; PEITZ, C.; CÚNICO, M.; CARVALHO, J. L. S.; ABRAHÃO, W. M.; MIGUEL, O. G.; MIGUEL, M. D.; KERBER, V. A. Avaliação da Atividade antibacteriana e triagem fitoquímica das flores de Acacia podalyriifolia A. Cunn. Ex G. Don Leguminosae-Mimosoideae. Revista Brasileira de Farmacognosia. v.15, n.1, p.13-15, 2005.
. GONÇALVES, A. L.; ALVES FILHO, A.; MENEZES, H. Estudo comparativo da atividade antimicrobiana de extratos de algumas árvores nativas. Arq. Inst. Biol., São Paulo, v.72, n.3, p.353-358, 2005.
. BASILE, A.; SORBO, S.; GIORDANO, S.; ICCIADI, L.; MONTESANO D.; COBIANCHI, C. R.; VUOTTO, M. L.; FERAA, L. Antibacterial and allelopathic activity of extract Castenea sativa leaves. Fitoterapia, v.71, p.110-116, 2000.
Copyright (c) 2020 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.