A Digital Data Acquisition System for High Subsonic Speed Wind Tunnels
AbstractThe need to reduce time and cost of running high speed (transonic & supersonic) wind tunnels and to obtain reliable experimental data is very essential to the academic and industrial worlds of aviation. Data acquisitioning technology together with the advents in computer programming made the prospects of upgrading old technology wind tunnels (those manually driven and using mercury or water manometers) a reality. Simple hardware and software are available and are cheap and very effective and can be easily installed for the purposes stated. The present paper describes a data acquisition system, suggested and installed, by the author for use on the supersonic wind tunnel at the university of Hertfordshire/UK. The tunnel layout and the acquisition system are described together with some of the validation experimental runs. The experiments were carried out originally as part of the author’s PhD research work investigating the effects of aerofoil surface irregularities at high subsonic speeds using the viscous Garabedian & Korn (VGK) method .
. Salah.J.S EL-IBRAHIM. “Prediction of the effects of aerofoil surface irregularities at high subsonic speeds using the viscous Garabedian & Korn method”. PhD thesis. Department of Civil Aeronautical and Mechanical Engineering, University of Hertfordshire, U.K., unpublished work,2000.
. "Supersonic Wind Tunnel Operating Manual". Workshop/Aerospace Civil & Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Hertfordshire.
. Hewlett-Packard Company, "Getting Started With HP-VEE", user manual, 4th Ed. May 1998.
. Data Translation, Inc. "DT VPI, version 5", user manual, 2nd Ed. June 1998.
. Philpott, D.R. “Estimation of the influence of aerofoil surface imperfections using the Viscous Garabedian and Korn prediction method”. Department of Civil Aeronautical and Mechanical Engineering, University of Hertfordshire, U.K., unpublished work,1998.
. Taylor, E.R. "Wind tunnel tests on a modified NACA64010 to assess VGK code". Final year major project report, University of Hertfordshire, U.K., 1998.
. Freestone, M.M. "VGK Method for two-dimensional aerofoil sections- part1: Principles and results". Draft Data Item, ESDU international, Oct.1996.
. Garabedian, P.R, Korn, D.G. "Analysis of transonic aerofoils". Communications on pure and applied mathematics, Vol. XXIV, 841-85,1971.
Copyright (c) 2020 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.