Exhaust Flue Gas Concentration of Engines Running on Ethanol, Gasoline and Bio-oil - a Theoretical Estimate
AbstractThe creation of new technologies over the last 100 years has improved the quality of human life, but the necessary chemical and industrial transformations have caused significant changes in the environment. The production of new inputs depends on the chemical processes employed and, as a consequence, must be in line with water and air treatments that are undoubtedly undermined by world technological development. Thus, the principles of physics and chemistry apply to the prediction and understanding of the release of gaseous pollutants into the environment, which come from the burning of fuels in automobiles. It also discusses the influence of aspects related to the air content fed to the engine, as well as the effect of temperature and pressure on the concentration of these pollutants.
. E. Grosjean, R.A. Rasmussen and D. Grosjean. “Ambient levels of gas phase pollutants in Porto Alegre, Brazil”. Atmospheric Environment, vol. 32, issue 2025, pp. 3371-3379, Sep. 1998.
. P.C.Vasconcellos, L.R.F. Carvalho and C.S. Pool. “Volatile organic compounds inside urban tunnels of São Paulo city, Brazil”. Journal of the Brazilian Chemical Society, vol. 16, No 6A, pp. 1210-1216, 2005.
. J.P. Orlando, D.S. Alvim, A. Yamazaki, S.M. Corrêa and, L.V. Gatti. “Ozone precursors for the São Paulo metropolitan area”. Science of the Total Environment, vol. 408, issue 7, pp. 1612-1620, Mar. 2010.
. S.M. Corrêa, G. Arbilla, E.M. Martins, S.L. Quitério, C.S. Guimarães and L.V. Gatti. “Five-years of formaldehyde and acetaldehyde monitoring in the Rio de Janeiro downtown area – Brazil”. Atmospheric Environment, vol. 44, issue 19, pp. 2302-2308, Jun. 2010.
. L.F.A. Garcia, S.M. Corrêa, R. Penteado, L.C. Daemme, L.V. Gatti and D.S. Alvim. “Measurements of emissions from motorcycles and modeling its impact on air quality”. Journal of the Brazilian Chemical Society, vol. 24, No 3, pp. 375-384, 2013.
. Relatório Final - 1º Inventário nacional de emissões atmosféricas por veículos automotores rodoviários - janeiro de 2011 – Governo Dilma Roussef) (This publication was supported by the Instituto de Energia e Meio Ambiente (IEMA)) (in portuguese), 114p.
. D.J.O. Ferreira, J.H. Sosa Arnao, B.C. Moreira, L.P. Rangel and S.W. Park. “The impact of radiation in the gas combustion model for sugarcane bagasse grate boiler”. Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 33, No 3, pp. 617-626, Jul. Sep. 2016.
. R.C.G. Oliveira, C.L. Cunha, S.M. Corrêa, A.R. Torres and E.R.A. Lima. “A simulation study about the impact of biodiesel use on the atmosphere of Rio de Janeiro city”. Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 34, No 3, pp. 727-738, Jul.-Sep. 2017.
. G. Gonca. “Investigation of the influences of steam injection on the equilibrium combustion products and thermodynamic properties of biofuels (biodiesel and alcohols)”. Fuel, vol. 144, pp 244–258, Mar. 2015.
. R. Rodrigues, A.R. Muniz and N.R. Marcilio. “Evaluation of biomass and coal co–gasification of brazilian feedstock using a chemical equilibrium model”. Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 33, No 2, pp. 401-414, Apr.-Jun. 2011.
. G. Kokkulunk, G. Gonca, V. Ayhan, I. Cesur and A. Parlak. “Theoretical and experimental investigation of diesel engine with steam injection system on performance and emission parameters”. Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 54, issue 1, pp. 161-170, May 2013.
. I. Cesur, A. Parlak, A. Ayhan, B. Boru, G. Gonca. The effects of electronic controlled steam injection on spark ignition engine. Applied Thermal Engineering , vol. 55, issues 1-2, pp. 61-68, Jun. 2013.
. G. Gonca. “Investigation of the effects of steam injection on performance and NO emissions of a diesel engine running with ethanol–diesel blend”. Energy Convers Manage, vol. 77, pp. 450-457, Jan. 2014.
. G. Kokkulunk, G. Gonca and A. Parlak. The effects of design parameters on performance and no emissions of steam-injected diesel engine with exhaust gas recirculation. Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering vol. 39, pp. 4119-4129, Mar. 2014.
. G. Kokkulunk, A. Parlak, V. Ayhan, I. Cesur, G. Gonca and B. Boru. “Theoretical andexperimental investigation of steam injected diesel engine with EGR”. Energy, vol. 74, pp. 331-339, Sep. 2014.
. G. Gonca, B. Sahin, A. Parlak, Y. Ust, V. Ayhan, I. Cesur et al. “The effects of steam injection on the performance and emission parameters of a Miller cycle diesel engine”. Energy, vol. 78, pp. 266-275, Dec. 2014.
. M.W. Gery and R.R. Crouse. User’s guide for executing OZIPR. Boston – MA: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Atmospheric Sciences Research Laboratory, Jun. 1991, 3p.
. G.S. Tonnesen. User’s guide for executing OZIPR version 2.0. North Caroline: U.S. EPA, 2000.
. C.V. Souza, S.M. Corrêa, E.D. Sodré and J.R. Teixeira. “Volatile organic compound emissions from a landfill, plume dispersion and the tropospheric ozone modeling”. Journal of the Brazilian Chemical Society, vol. 23, No 3, pp. 496-504, Jan. 2012.
. F.S. Santos, G.A. Miranda, A.N.M. Carvalho, V.S.B. Carvalho and T.T.A. Albuquerque. “Regulated air pollutant emissions from higher emitters stationary sources in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil”. Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 36, No 2, pp. 775-784, Apr.-Jun. 2019.
. R. Piloto-Rodríguez, E. A. Melo, L. Goyos-Pérez, and S. Verhelst. “Conversion of by-products from the vegetable oil industry into biodiesel and its use in internal combustion engines: a review”. Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 31, No 2, pp. 287-301, Apr.-Jun. 2014.
. A.A. Dantas Neto, M.R. Fernandes, E.L. Barros Neto, T.N.C. Dantas, and M.C.P.A. Moura. “Alternative fuels composed by blends of nonionic surfactant with diesel and water: engine performance and emissions”. Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering, Vol. 28, No 3, pp. 521-531, Jul.-Sep. 2011.
. Y. Fukuzawa, H. Shimoda, Y. Kakuhama, H. Endo, K. Tanaka. “Development of high efficiency miller cycle gas engine”. Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. Technical Review, vol.38, No 3, Oct. 2001.
. K.B. Siddegowda and J. Venkatesh. “Performance and emission characteristics of MPFI engine by using gasoline – ethanol blends”. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 2, issue 9, pp. 4891-4897, Sep. 2013.
. J.C.V. Cevallos, “Ethanol fuel as renewal energy in spark ignition engines”. Master of Engineering Manufacturing Engineering and Management, 79 p., 2015.
. F.M.R. Mesquita, F.X. Feitosa, F.R. do Carmo, R.S. de Santiago-Aguia, and H.B. de Sant'Ana. “Viscosities and viscosity deviations of binary mixtures of biodiesel+petrodiesel (or n-hexadecane) at different temperatures”. Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 29, No 3, pp. 653-664, Jul.-Sep. 2012.
. M. Baratieri, P. Baggio, L. Fiori and M. Grigiante. “Biomass as an energy source: Thermodynamic constraintson the performance of the conversion process”. Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, issue 15, pp. 7063-7073, Oct. 2008.
. R. Rodrigues, N.R. Marcilio, J.O. Trierweiler, M. Godinho and A.M.S. Pereira. “Co-gasification of footwear leather waste and high ash coal: a thermodynamic analysis”, in 27th Ann. Int. Pittsburgh Coal Conference Istanbul, Turkey, 2010, pp. 1-7.
. J. Belincanta, J.A. Alchorne, and M.T. da Silva. “The brazilian experience with ethanol Fuel: aspects of production, use, quality and distribution logistics”. Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 33, No 4, pp. 1091-1102, Oct.-Dec. 2016.
. P. Atkins, J. de Paula. Físico-Química. Rio de Janeiro: LTC, vol. 1, 2008, pp. 512.
. A.K. Agarwal. “Biofuels (alcohols and biodiesel) applications as fuels for internal combustion engines”. Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, vol. 33, issue 3, pp. 233–271. Jun. 2007.
. R. Delgado and S. Paz. “Effect of different ethanol-gasoline blends on exhaust emissions and fuel consumption”, in SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1273: SAE International, 2012.
. C. Sayin. “Engine performance and exhaust gas emissions of methanol and ethanol–diesel blends”. Fuel, vol. 89, issue 11, pp. 3410-3415, Nov. 2010.
. N.R. Abdullah, M.S.M. Zaharin, A.M.I. Mamat, M.R.M. Nawi, H. Sharudin. “Effects of ethanol blends on gasoline engine performance and exhaust emissions”. Jurnal Teknologi. Vol. 76, No 11, pp. 107-112, Jun. 2015.
. E. Esmaili, N. Mahinpey and C.J. Lim. “Modified equilibrium modelling of coal gasification with insitu CO2 capture using sorbent CaO: Assessment of approach temperature”. Chemical Engineering Research and Design, vol. 91, issue 7, pp. 1361-1369, Jul. 2013.
Copyright (c) 2020 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.