Microbiological Assessment of Drinking Water Quality in Omdurman City
AbstractA study was conducted to evaluate the drinking water of Omdurman city, by looking into the microbiological aspect. Ten samples were taken randomly from different parts of Omdurman city during three seasons (winter, summer and autumn) for two successive years. Results indicated that most of the samples were contaminated by bacteria, including Coliform, Escherichia coli and Fecal streptococcus. The contamination percentage was higher in the rainy season and summer, while in winter was the least.
. Musa, H.A., Shears, P., Kafi, S. and Elsabag, S.K. Water quality and public health in northern Sudan: a study of rural and peri-urban communities. Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 87, pp 676-682,1999.
. Geldreich, E.E. and Le Chevallier, M. Microbiological quality control in distribution system. In: Water Supplies, Letterman, R.D. (Ed.) 5th Ed., Mac Graw-Hill, New York 1999.
. WHO (1993). Guidelines for drinking water quality, World Health Organization, Genève, Vol. 1 1993.
. Ell-Amin, Amira, M., Sulieman Abdel Moneim, E. and El Khalifa, Elamin, A. Microbiological assessment of drinking water quality in Wad Medani and Khartoum States. 1th International Water Technology Conference, IWTC. 1802012, Istanbul, Turkey , 2012 .
. Simango , C.,Dindiwe,J., and Rukure, G . Bacterial contamination of food and houes gold stored drinking water in afarm warker community in Zimbalwe , vol.,38 pp.143-149,1992.
. Welch,p.,David ,J.,Clarke ,W.,Trinidase , A..Penner,D., Berstein ,S.,Mc Dogall, L. and Adesiyn , A .A.Microbial quality of water in rural com munities of Trinidad.Review of panam Salud publications , vol, 8 (3) , pp.172-180, 2000.
. Harrigan, W.F. Laboratory methods in food microbiology, 3rd edition, printed in Great Britain by WBC book Manufactures, Bridgend, Mid Glam Organ, 1998.
. APHA, AWWA and WPCF Standard methods for the examination of water and waste water. 20th Edition, Published jointly by American Public Health Association, American Water Works Association and Water Pollution Control Federation, Washington D.C. 1999.
. WHO Guidelines for drinking water quality. Third Edition. Incorporating first addendum, Geneva , 2004.
. SSMO Sudanese Standards and Metrology Organization Drinking Water Guidelines Bulletin, Sudan, 2015.
. Oyhakilome, G.I., Aiyesanmi, A.F. and Akharaiyi, F.C. Water quality assessment of Ownea Multi-purpose Dam, Ondo State, Southwest Nigeria Journal of Environmental Protection , vol.3,pp. 14-25,2012.
. Al Khairy, Hanan,B.A. Evaluation of drinking water quality in Althora district. M.Sc. Thesis, Al Zaeim Alazhari Unviesity. Sudan , 2013 .
. Idris, H.A. The microbiological contamination of drinking water in Umbada area in Omdurman city, M.Sc. Thesis, Faculty of Education, Alzaiem Alazhari Unviersity, Sudan 2015.
. EL Hassan , B., Awad elkarim , M.A., Abdel Magid , H . M.,ibrahim , I.s. and Dirar , H . A . On water quantity and quality and their im pact an health in Khartoum Prouince , Sudan . Water Quality Bulletin , vol . 9 (4) pp. 225-230, 1984.
. El bakri , H . K.H Evaluation of drinking water quality from Swface and qround resaurces in Gezira State . M.Sc. Thesic , University of Khartoum 2009.
. Zvikomborero, H. An assessment of water quality of drinking water in rural districts in Zimbabwe, the case of Gokwe south, Nkayi, Lupane and Mwenezi districts, Physics and Chemistry of Earth, vol .3 , pp.856 – 866, 2005 .
Copyright (c) 2020 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.