Comparison of Burn Wound Healing Ability between Ethyl Acetate Extract Gel of Betel Nut (Areca catechu) and Snake Fruit Seed (Salacca zalacca) in Rats
AbstractThe burn is the most common type of trauma that is found over the world. Betel nut and snake fruit belong to the family of Arecaceae have various phytochemicals that have antioxidant activity to accelerate the wound healing process. This study was aimed to explore the wound healing effect of ethyl acetate extract from betel nut and snake fruit. This study used 20 rats that divided into four groups include Standard (Bioplaceton©), Control, Gel of Snake fruit seed, and Gel of Betel nut. The gel was formulated from the ethyl acetate extract of snake fruit seed and betel nu by the maceration process. A steel plate conducted the burn under ketamine anesthesia. The parameters that were evaluated were wound contraction and epithelialization period. The result of this study showed that the wound contraction showed a significant difference up to 4 days of observation (P-value < 0.05). While, the group of standard, gel of snake fruit seed, and gel of betel nut have a significant difference in epithelialization period against the control group (P-Value < 0.05). Overall, both of the gel extracts have potential acceleration burn wound healing. However, the gel of betel nut is more effective than the gel of snake fruit seed.
. S. ur Rehman et al., “The Distribution and Determinants of Burn Injuries at Jinnah Burn and Reconstructive Surgery Centre, Lahore,” Proceedings, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 31–35, 2018.
. N. Primadina, “Epidemiologi Kasus Bedah Plastik Di Rsud Syarifah Ambami Rato Ebhu Bangkalan, Penelitian Retrospektif Dua Tahun,” Med. Heal. Sci. J., vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 41–46, 2018.
. R. Suzan and D. E. Andayani, “Tata laksana nutrisi pada pasien luka bakar listrik,” JMJ, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 2017.
. R. Rajamani, K. Arts, K. S. Kuppusamy, and K. Arts, “Preliminary Phytochemical Screening of Aqueous Extract of Betel Nut and Betel Leaves,” Int. J. Biosci. Nanosci., vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 14–18, 2016.
. M. S. M. Saleh et al., “Salacca zalacca: A short review of the palm botany, pharmacological uses and phytochemistry,” Asian Pac. J. Trop. Med., vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 645–652, 2018.
. M. Bharat, D. K. Verma, V. Shanbhag, R. S. Rajput, D. Nayak, and A. Amuthan, “Ethanolic extract of oral Areca catechu promotes burn wound healing in rats,” Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Rev. Res., vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 145–148, 2014.
. S. Istiana, “Formulasi sediaan gel basis Na-CMC ekstrak etanol daun cocor bebek (Kalanchoe pinnata (Lmk.) Pers.) sebagai penyembuh luka bakar pada kelinci,” Universitas Muhammadiyah Surakarta, 2016.
. W. Widowati et al., “Antioxidant and antidiabetic potential of Curcuma longa and its compounds,” Asian J. Agric. Biol., 2018.
. D. K. Verma, M. Bharat, D. Nayak, T. Shanbhag, V. Shanbhag, and R. S. Rajput, “Areca catechu : Effect of topical ethanolic extract on burn wound healing in albino rats,” Int. J. Pharmacol. Clin. Sci., vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 74–78, 2012.
. F. Handayani, E. Siswanto, and L. Pangesti, “Uji Aktivitas Ekstrak Etanol Gambir (Uncaria gambir Roxb.) terhadap Penyembuhan Luka Bakar pada Kulit Punggung Mencit Putih Jantan (Mus musculus),” J. Ilm. Manuntung, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 154–160, 2016.
. E. Girsang et al., “Chemical Constituents of Snake Fruit (Salacca zalacca (Gaert.) Voss) Peel and in silico Anti-aging Analysis,” Mol. Cell. Biomed. Sci., 2019.
. E. Girsang et al., “In silico analysis of phytochemical compound found in snake fruit (Salacca zalacca) peel as anti-aging agent,” Thai J. Pharm. Sci., 2019.
. L. C. Agra, J. N. S. Ferro, F. T. Barbosa, and E. Barreto, “Triterpenes with healing activity: A systematic review,” J. Dermatolog. Treat., vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 465–470, 2015.
Copyright (c) 2020 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.