Scavenge ABTS and Inhibition of Elastase Enzyme Activity from Ethanol Extract of Pineapple (Annas cosmusus (L.) Merr) Core
AbstractThe exact cause of aging is still unknown, there are some theories which has been directed. Excess ROS (Reactive oxygen species) or UV radiation can precipitate activation of elastase which degrades elastin. This study was aimed to investigate anti-elastase and antioxidant activity of ethanol extract from pineapple core. Determination of Antioxidant activity was using ABTS Methods while Inhibition of Elastase assay was using Elastase Enzyme from porcine pancreases. The result of this study was express by Mean ± SD and analysed by One-Way ANOVA test and followed by the Post Hoc Test with the Tukey HSD test, while IC50 was determined by simultaneous analysis of linear regression. At the highest concentration (50 ug/ml), The scavenge activity of ABTS’ were 36.13 ± 2.82 % for ethanol extract of pineapple core and 93.91 ± 3.25 % for luteolin compound. Same as Scavenge ABTS Activity, at the highest concentration (66.67 ug/ml), the elastase inhibition activities were 78.73 ±3.08 % for ethanol extract of pineapple core and 86.30 ± 1.78 % for luteolin compound. The result of Post Hoc test for ABTS activity and inhbition of elastase was shown significant differences (P value < 0.05) of percentage activity at various concentration. Based on IC50 value of Ethanol extract from pineapple core that antioxidant activity (IC50: 72.73±4.31) was strong while inhibition of elastase enzyme (IC50:16.79±1.62) was very strong. Antioxidant and antielastase activity of ethanol extract from pineapple core aren’t potent as luteolin compound.
. Y. Liu, J. Long and J. Liu, "Mitochondrial free radical theory of aging: who moved my premise?," Geriatr Gerontol Int. , vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 740-749, 2014.
. K. Jin, "Modern Biologival Theories of Aging," Aging Dis, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 72-64, 2010.
. A. Nurrochmad, Wirasti, A. Dirman, E. Lukitaningsih, A. Rahmawati and N. Fakhrudin, "Effects of Antioxidant, Anti-Collagenase, AntiElastase, Anti-Tyrosinase of The Extract and Fraction From Turbinaria decurrens Bory.," Indonesian J. Pharm, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 188-197, 2018.
. S. Zhang and E. Duan, "Fighting against Skin Aging: The Way from Bench to Bedside," Cell Transplantation, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 729-738, 2018.
. S. R. Varmal, A. Mishral, M. Vijayakumar and R. Paramesh, "Anti-skin Ageing Phytochemicals in Cosmetics; An Appraisal," H&PC Today - Household and Personal Care Today, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 20-23, 2017.
. S. F. Nabavi, NadyBraidy, OlgaGortzi, EduardoSobarzo-Sanchez, M. Daglia, K. Skalicka-Woźniak and S. M. Nabavi, "Luteolin as an anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective agent: A brief review," Brain Research Bulletin, vol. 119, pp. 1-11, 2015.
. V. V. Irda Fidrianny and M. Insanu, "Antioxidant Potential of Different Parts of Bogor Pineapple (Ananas Comosus (L) Merr. Var. Queen) Cultivated in West Java-Indonesia," Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 129-133, 2018.
. W. Widowati, R. M. Widyanto, W. Husin, H. Ratnawati, D. R. Laksmitawati, B. Setiawan, D. Nugrahenny and I. Bachtiar, "Green tea extract protects endothelial progenitor cells from oxidative insult through reduction of intracellular reactive oxygen species activity," Iran J Basic Med Sci, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 702-709, 2014.
. W. Widowati, N. Fauziah, H. Herdiman, M. Afni, E. Afifah, H. S. W. Kusuma, H. Nufus, S. Arumwardana and D. D. Rihibiha, "Antioxidant and Anti Aging Assays of Oryza Sativa Extracts, Vanillin and Coumaric Acid," Journal of Natural Remedies, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 88-99, 2016.
. W. Widowati, A. P. Rani, R. A. Hamzah, S. Arumwardana, E. Afifah, H. S. W. Kusuma, D. D. Rihibiha, H. Nufus and A. Amalia, "Antioxidant and antiaging assays of Hibiscus sabdariffa extract and its compounds," Nat. Prod. Sci, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 192-200, 2017.
. W. Widowatia, W. J. B, S. Nadya, A. Amalia, S. Arumwardana, H. S. W. Kusuma and Y. Arinta, "Antioxidant and Antiaging Activities of Jasminum Sambac Extract, and its Compounds," J. Reports Pharmaceutic. Sci, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 270-285, 2018.
. A. Taskeen, I. Naeem, S. Bakhtawar and T. Mehmood, "Comparative Study of Flavonoids in Fruits and Vegetables with Their Products using Reverse Phase High Performance Liquid Chromatography (RP-HPLC)," EJEAFChe, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 1372-1377, 2010.
. S. Bhagwat, D. B. Haytowitz and J. M. Holden, USDA Database for the Flavonoid Content of Selcted Foods, Maryland: U.S. Department of Agriculture, 2014.
. A. Menon, V. P. V and G. R, "Preliminary Phytochemical Analysis and Cytotoxicity Potential of Pineapple Extract on Oral Cancer Cell Lines," Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 140-143, 2016.
. I. Fidrianny, V. Virna and M. Insanu, "Antioxidant Potential of Different Parts of Bogor Pineapple (Ananas Comosus (L) Merr. Var. Queen) Cultivated in West Java-Indonesia," Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 129-133, 2018.
. E. Karimi, P. Mehrabanjoubani, M. Keshavarzian, E. Oskoueian, H. Z. Jaafar and A. Abdolzadeh, "Abdolzadeh A. Identification and quantification of phenolic and flavonoid components in straw and seed husk of some rice varieties (Oryza sativa L.) and their antioxidant properties," J Sci Food Agric, vol. 94, no. 11, pp. 2324-2330, 2014.
. A. Pouillot, L. L. Polla, P. Tacchini, A. Neequaye, A. Polla and B. Polla, "Natural Antioxidant and Their Effects on The Skin," in Formulating, Packaging, and Marketing of Natural Cosmetic Products First Edition, New York, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 2011, pp. 239-257.
. T. S. Thring, P. Hilli and D. P. Naughton, "Anti-collagenase, anti-elastase and anti-oxidant activities of extracts from 21 plants`," BMC Complement Altern Med, vol. 9, no. 27, pp. 1-11, 2009.
. O. Makarenko and A. Levitsky, "Biochemical Mechanisms of Therapeutic and Prophylactic Effects of Bioflavonoids," Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 4, pp. 451-456, 2016.
Copyright (c) 2020 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.