Effectiveness Test of Robusta Coffee (Coffea cenephora) Extract from North Sumatra in Collagen and Hydration Skin Level of Female Wistar Rattus norvegicus
AbstractRobusta coffee (Coffea canephora) is one of the Indonesian plants that have antioxidant compounds that can be used as cosmetic ingredients. The antiaging effect of the coffee extract can overcome the photoaging problem. The purpose of this study is to see the anti-aging effects of robusta coffee bean extract based on concentration variations of the female white rats. The study was conducted in a laboratory with pre and post control group design, from February to March 2019. 30 female white rats were divided into 5 groups and were sunbathed for 5 days, then were shaved 2x2 cm wide on the back and were given Robusta coffee bean extract cream 2.5%, 5%, 7.5%, 10%, and control. Applying cream twice a day for 4 weeks and changes were measured every 1 week for 4 weeks with a skin analyzer. The results were tested for the normality with the Shapiro-Wilk test and Levene's test. Then followed by Anova Repeated, Pearson Correlation and Multiple Linear Regression test. Data analysis was using SPSS 21.0. There were the highest increased of collagen and hydration levels with Coffea canephora 10% extract given, and variable concentrations and duration of administration have a positive effect. The highest increased of collagen level was in the Coffea canephora 10% extract with an average 91.3% and hydration level amounted to 86.09%.
Wasitaatmadja SM. 2013.Faal Kulit. In : Adhi D,editor. Ilmu Penyakit Kulit dan Kelamin.Jakarta : Fakultas Kedokteran Universitas Indonesia .p.7-8.
Sjerobabski-Masnec I, Situm M. 2010. Skin aging. Acta Clin Croat. Dec;49(4): 515-8. PubMed PMID:21830465.
Biniek,K.,Kemal.L & Reinhold.H.D. 2012. Solar UV radiationreduces the barier function of human skin. In : John W.H (ed) Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 109 (42), National Academy of Sciences, pp 17111–17116. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1206851109.
McLafferty E, Alistair F, and Hendry C. 2012. The integumentary system: anatomy, physiology and function of skin . Nursing Standart ; Vol. 27 (3): p.35-42.
Alhana, Pipih S, Kustiariyah. 2015. Extraction and Characterization of Collagen from Sea Cucumber Flesh.JPHPI. Aug; Vol 18(2): 150-161.
Barel A.O., Paye M. and Maibach H.I. 2009. Handbook of Cosmetic Science and Technology. 3rd Edition. New York : Informa Healthcare USA Inc.
Chaiyasut C, Bhagavathi SS, Sisithorn S, Netnapa M, Jakkapan S, Sartjin P,et al. 2018. Formulation and Stability Assessment of Arabica and Civet Coffee Extraccts Based Cosmetic Preparation. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. June ;Vol 11:425-429.
Magnani C, Thais SO, Vera LI, Marcos AC, Herida RS. 2015. Validation of Caffeic Acid in Emulsion by UV-Spectrophotometric Method. Journal Physical Chemistry .5(1):16-22.
Chairgulprasert.V and Kittiya.K. 2017. Preliminary Phytochemical Screening and Antioxidant Activity of Robusta Coffee Blossom. Thammasat International Journal of Science and Technology. 22(1):1-8.
Tanuma HA, Gayatri C, Widya AL. 2016.Aktivitas antibakteri ekstrak biji kopi robusta (Coffea cenephora) terhadap bakteri Escherichia coli.Jurnal Ilmu Farmasi. 5(4):243-251.
Ciptaningsih,E. 2012. In Vitro Antioxidant Activity and Phtochemical Characteristics of Kopi Luwak and Its Effect on Blood Pressure in Normotensive and Hyoertensive Rats. Master of Pharmaceutical Sciences Thesis.Jakarta: University of Indonesia.
Sharma GK, Gadiya J, and Dhanawat M. 2016.Textbook of Cosmetic Formulation. India: Kbuuk Publication.
Safrida and Mustafa Sabri. 2017.Potential Of Aceh Arabica Coffee Extract (Coffea arabica L) in Rejuvenation of Aging Skin Rat.Jurnal Kedokteran Hewan.11(3):101-103.
Handayati D, Fifa A, Yuli K, Citra TM, Yudha DS. 2017.Efficacy of Topical Coffee Paste to Colagen Density in Wistar Rats Incision Wound. Bioscientia Medicina.2(1):12-15.
Grosselli B, Joseane M, Anglecio LS, Marilene NS, Amanda RA, Gislaine V, et al. 2017.Topical use and systemic action of green and roasted coffee oils and ground oils in a cutaneous incision model in rats (Rattus norvegicus albinus).In. Tatiana.M (Ed).PLOS.1-17.
Alam M and Havey J. 2010. Chapter 2: Photoaging . Cosmetic Dermatology: Products and Procedures. New York: Blackwell Publishing.
Putri E, Celvin A, Chrismis NG, Linda C, I Nyoman EL. 2019. Comparison of Anti-Aging Effectiveness from Gotu Kola Extract Cream (Centella asiatica) and Robusta Coffee Cream (Coffea canephora) Toward Hydration Levels in Male Mus Musculus Skin. American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS).61(1):192-201.
Ribeiro H, Joana M, Sara R, Maria A, Vera I, Bruna GC, et al. 2012. From coffee industry waste materials to skin-friendly products with improved skin fat levels. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol.115:330–336.
Fukagawa S, Satoshi H, Shun S,Yuka Y, Hisashi T, Takatoshi M. 2017. Coffe Polyphenols Extracted From Green Coffee Beans Improved Skin Properties and Microcirculatory Function. Biological Science Laboratories, Kao Corporation, Tochigi, Japan. Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry Journal.1814-1822.
Magnani C, Thais SO, Vera LI, MarcosAC, Herida RS. 2015.Validation of Caffeic Acid in Emulsion by UV-Spectrophotometric Method. Journal Physical Chemistry .5(1):16-22.
Herman A, AP Herman. 2013.Caffeine’s Mechanisms of Action and its Cosmetic Use.Journal Skin Pharmacology and Physiology.Vol 26:8-14.
Copyright (c) 2020 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.