Hypoglycemic Effect of Avocado Seed Extract (Persean americana Mill) from Analysis of Oral Glucose Tolerance Test On Rattus norvegicus L.
AbstractDue to the many side effects caused by antidiabetic drugs, it is necessary to look for alternative antidiabetic agents that have fewer side effects such as drugs from plant extracts, one of which is Persea americana Mill (Avocado). Ethanol extract from avocado seeds containing polyphenols, tannins, flavonoids, triterpenoids, quinones, monoterpenoids, and sesquiterpenoids. Flavonoids have shown beneficial effects against diabetes mellitus. This research was conducted to determine whether an avocado seed extract has a hypoglycemic effect. The extract concentrations used were 300, 600, 1200 mg/kg BW given orally to experimental animals (Rattus norvegicus L.). Rats were fed a load of 2 g/kg BW sucrose following the treatment. Blood glucose concentrations were then compared to the positive control (Glibenclamid) and the negative control (aquades). Blood glucose levels were measured from the rat’s tail vein using a glucometer at -30,0,30,60,120,240 minutes after the administration of sucrose. All blood sugar levels showed decreases in concentrations following the administration of avocado seed extracts. The highest decrease in blood sugar level was observed at 300 mg/kg BW extract. Although the results of the test showed decreases in blood sugar levels, the differences in blood glucose levels before and after treatments were not found to be significant.
WHO. 2018. Global status report on noncommunicable disease. Switzerland. Akses [tanggal 15 Oktober 2018 pukul 10.37 WIB]. Available : https://www.who.int/nmh/publications/ncd-profiles-2018/en/
WHO. 2016. Global report on diabetes. France. Akses [tanggal 15 juli 2018 pukul 11.31 WIB]. Available : http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/204871/9789241565257_eng.pdf;jsessionid=1903F7DA303C135BF944D0DD6437F55F?sequence=1
Convederat L, Stefan R, Lupascu F, Constantin S, Avram I, Doloca A, Profire L. 2016. Side effects induced by hypoglycaemic sulfonylureas to diabetic patients- a retrospective study. Journal farmacia Vol 65 (5). Page 674-679.
Suhendra AT, Awaloei H, Wuisan J. 2016. Uji Efek Ekstrak Biji Alpukat (Persea americana mill) Terhadap Kadar Kolesterol Total Pada Tikus Mistar (Rattus norvegicus). Journal e-biomedik Vol 4 No 1.
Talabi JY, Osukoya OA, Ayaji OO, Adegoke GO. 2016. Nutritional and antinutritional compositions of processed Avocado (Persea Americana Mill) seeds. Asian Journal of Plant Science and Research Vol 6(2). Page 6-12. ISSN : 2249-7412
Oktaria YE, Azizah T, Sutrisna EM. 2015. The hypoglicemic effect of avocado seed (persea Americana mill) and histopathologic profile. Journal pharm Bio Sci Vol 6(4) ; Page 136-141.
Okhiokpamwonyi O, Ikpefan E, Owolabi OJ, Anaka ON. 2013. Hypolipidemic Activity of Ethyl Acetate Fraction of Methanolic Seed Extract of Persea Americana Mill (Lauranceae) in Rats. Journal of pharmaceutical and allied sciences Vol 10 No 3. Page 1905-1916. ISSN : 1596-8499
Aom NC, Chamko S, Talubmook C. 2017. Toxicology and oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT) of thai Medical Plant Used for Diabetes control, Phyllanthus acidus L. (Euphorbiaceae). Pharmacognsy Journal Vol 9, Issue 1. Page 58-61.
Musdja MY, Mahendra F, Musir A. 2017. Anti-hyperglycemia effect and glucose tolerance of guajava (psidium guajava L) leaf ethanol extract in diabetic rats. Journal IOP Conf. Series : Earth and environmental science 101. Page 1-4
Kumala S, Utami H, Sari WK. 2013. The effect of avocado (persea Americana mill) leaves extract towards the mouse’s blood glucose decrease with the glucose tolerance method. International journal of pharmaceutical sciences and research Vol 4 issue 2. Hal 661-665.
Al-Ishaq, Abotaleb, Kubatka, Kajo, & Büsselberg. (2019). Flavonoids and Their Anti-Diabetic Effects: Cellular Mechanisms and Effects to Improve Blood Sugar Levels. Biomolecules, 9(9), 430. doi: 10.3390/biom9090430
Dinicolantonio JJ, Bhutani J, Okeefe JH, Crofts C. 2017. Post prandial insulin assay as the earliest biomarker for diagnosing prediabetes, type 2 diabetes and increased cardiovascular risk. Journal Open Haert 2017; 4e000656. Page 1-4
Chen J, Mangelinckx S, Adams A, Wang Z, Li WL, Kimpe ND. 2014. Natural flavonoids as potential herbal medication for the treatment of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Journal Natural Product Communications Vol 10(1). Hal 187-200
Marella S. 2017. Flavonoid- the most potent poly-phenols as antidiabetic agents: an overview. Journal. Mod Appro Drug Des. Vol (1) 3. Chrimson publisher.
Copyright (c) 2020 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.