The Role of Pakistan Against Counter Terrorism
AbstractPakistan joined global efforts to curb terrorism right after 9/11 and kept on playing a vital role as a frontline ally. The country's role in War on Terror was inevitable due to multiple factors such as geography, supply routes and intelligence sharing. Over time, Pakistan carried out numerous operations to dislodge trans-national militants in its tribal areas. After constant terror attacks, it aimed at launching comprehensive operations against terrorists hiding in every nook and corner of the country. Keeping counter-terror policies of Pakistan, the paper is divided into three eras. First, the Musharaf era (2001-2008), in which Pakistan relied on military operations, banned extremist organizations, reformed Madrasahs and drone strikes. Whereas, the second era, under Pakistan People's Party encompasses the overwhelming reliance on Drone Warfare and military operations in Swat and South Waziristan Agency. During the third era, Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif came up with the idea of peace talks with the militants, that went futile and operation Zarb-e-Azab was launched against militants.
. Anup Kaphle, “Pakistan Announces a National Plan to Fight Terrorism”,December 24, 2014, www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2014/12/24/pakistan-announces-a-nationalplan-to-fight-terrorism-says-terrorists-days-are-numbered/[Accessed: Dec26,2019]
. Fahad Naveed, “Dar Unveils Agri-Focused Budget to Meet Growth Target”, June 4,2016, www.dawn.com/news/1262508/dar-unveils-agri-focused-budget-to-meet-growth-target [Accessed: Dec 4,2019]
. Hassan Belal Zaidi, “NAP Body Led by NSA Merely Administrative”,August 17, 2016, www.dawn.com/news/1278092[Accessed: Dec 17,2019]
. Ismail Khan, “Reforms Proposed for Fata’s Merger into KP”, June 13, 2016, www.dawn.com/news/1264492[Accessed: Dec23, 2019]
. Zulfiqar Hameed, “Changes in Pakistan’s Counter Terrorism Legal Regime”, New America,June 11, 2015,www.newamerica.org/international-security/policy-papers/changes-in-pakistans-counter-terrorism-legal-regime/ [Accessed: Dec 11, 2019]
. Kashif Zafar, “Operation Zarb-e-Ahan: Every Terrorist Will Be Eliminated, Says Sukhera,”April 11, 2016,http://tribune.com.pk/story/1082336/operation-zarb-e-ahan-every-terrorist-will-be-eliminated-says-sukhera/[Accessed: Dec 11, 2019,]
. NewsOnePK, “Interview: Karachi operation will continue until peace is established: Corps Commander Karachi”, February 24, 2015,www.dailymotion.com/video/x2qe338_karachi-operation-will-continue-until-peace-is-established-corps-commander-karachi_news [Accessed: Dec 24,2019]
. Staff Reporter, “Sindh Apex Body Bans Display of Weapons”, April 18, 2015,http://nation.com.pk/karachi/18-Apr-2015/sindh-apex-body-bans-display-of-weapons[Accessed: Dec 18, 2019]
. “Sindh, Baluchistan to Combat Terrorism Together”, February 13, 2015,www.thenews.com.pk/print/23743-sindh-balochistan-to-combat-terrorism-together [Accessed: Dec 13, 2019]
. Zahir Shah Sherazi. “TTP Claims Attack on Karachi Airport”,June 9, 2014,www.dawn.com/news/1111397[Accessed: Nov 9, 2019]
. Zulfiqar Ali. “Sleeper Cells Being Eliminated in KP: Army”,May 31, 2016,www.dawn.com/news/1261720/sleeper-cells-being-eliminated-in-kp-army[Accessed: Nov 30, 2019]
Copyright (c) 2020 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.