Determination Sunscreen Potential Based on Sunflower Seed Oil (Helianthus Annuus) in Cream Preparation With Combination of Oxybenzone and Octyl Methoxycinnamate by in Vitro Method
AbstractSun exposure can cause erythema and sunburn to cause degeneration of the skin such as premature aging and some skin cancers. Due to the negative effects of the sun's rays, we need to use a sunscreen skin protector. Natural materials for sunscreen preparations is commonly use because it is easy accept by the community. Sunflower seed oil is one of the natural ingredients that contains vitamin E which is as an antioxidant and also has the potential as a sunscreen. This study is purpose to determine the effect of adding sunflower seed oil to the effectiveness of a combination of oxybenzone and octyl methoxycinnamate sunscreen, determine the SPF (Sun Protection Factor) value, and determine the pH value of each cream preparation.The research includes the preparation of sunflower seed oil cream (Helianthus annuus), which consists of an in vitro test for SPF value, and pH test using a spectrophotometer UV-Vis. The results of the average SPF value of F1 (blank) is 8.24; F2 (blank + Oxybenzone 2% + Octyl methoxycinnamate 5%) is 21.26; F3 (1% sunflower seed oil) is 26.03; F4 (5% sunflower seed oil) is 26.84; and F5 (10% sunflower seed oil) is 28.88. In conclusion, this study result indicate that the addition of sunflower seed oil in various concentrations gives a significant difference in the increase of SPF values between each formula combined with oxybenzone and octyl methoxycinnamate.
Wasitaatmadja, Syarif M. “Ilmu Penyakit Kulit dan Kelamin”. 6th ed., Jakarta: Badan Penerbit FK UI, 2010, pp. 3-5, 291.
Kosasih, E.N., Setiabudhi, T., dan Heryanto, H. Peranan Antioksidan pada Lanjut Usia. Jakarta: Pusat Kajian Nasional Masalah Lanjut Usia, 2004, pp 60.
Idson B. “Vitamins in Cosmetics An Update part II: Vitamin E”. Drug & Cosmetic Industry, 2013, pp. 20-25,147.
Ditjen POM. “Farmakope Indonesia”. 4th ed., Jakarta: Departemen Kesehatan Republik Indonesia, 2000, pp. 8.
Mansur, M.C.P.P.R., Suzana, G.L., Cristal, C.C., Alane, B.V., Ronald, S.S., Octavio, A.F.P., Alvaro, A.C.L., Gilda, G.L., Eduardo, R.J., dan Elisabete, P.S. (2016, Apr). “In Vitro and In Vivo Evaluation of Efficacy and Safety of Photoprotective Formulations Containing Antioxidant Extracts”. Revista Brasileira de Farmacognosia. [Online]. 26(1),pp. 251-258. Available: https://scielo.org/en/ [Maret. 15,2019].
FDA. “Sunburn Protection Factor (SPF)”. Internet: www.fda.gov, July. 14, 2017 [Mar. 15, 2019].
Chandra, R. “Pengaruh Penambahan Minyak Biji Anggur (Grape Seed Oil) Terhadap Efektivitas Sediaan Tabir Surya Kombinasi Oksibenzon Dan Oktilmetoksinamat dalam Basis Vanishing Cream,” presented at Universitas Sumatera Utara, Medan, 2015.
Copyright (c) 2019 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.