2019 General Elections: Revisiting the Role of Mass Media in Crisis Resolution in Nigeria
AbstractElection is basically avenue where eligible members of the public are allowed to select or vote who will govern them. At times, the processes that guide this selection or voting remain smooth and perfect while in most cases they result into series of unimaginable crisis thereby led to fighting, burning of houses, cars and many other valuable properties and above all killing of one another. In a situation of this nature, media as fourth estate of the realm are expected not only to provide accurate and authoritative information about the whole thing but also to discharge their basic social responsibility of building an ideal society that is peaceful for all citizenry, since development triumph only in a peaceful society. This paper specifically examines in all ramifications; election, electoral process in Nigeria and the role of mass media toward having violence free electoral process. Empirically, this paper adopted survey method to gather resourceful data 200 respondents who were randomly selected among residents of Osun state, Nigeria. Social responsibility and peace journalism theories made a great impart with their assumptions that gave credence to this research work. At the end, analysis of data collected proved to the fact that men of pen profession have tremendous role to play in a peaceful democratic system and they must keep up this responsibility so as to keep our society in the path of peace in all our electoral processes in Nigeria.
. Alanamu (2005). Political crises in political system. Lagos: Landmark Publisher.
. Anaeto, S. G. and Anaeto M. S. (2010). Rural Community Newspaper: Principles and Practice. Ibadan: Stirling Horden Publishers.
. Anaeto, S.G and Anaeto, M.S. (2010). Development Communication: Principles and Practice. Ibadan: Stirling Horden Publishers.
. Anaeto, S.G., Anaeto, M.S. and Tejumaiye, J.A. (2009). Newspaper and Magazine: Management, Production and Marketing. Ibadan: Stiriling Horder Publishers limited.
. Anyagele, J.U. (2003) Comprehensive Government. Lagos: A. Johnson Publishers.
. Awoleye, Omotosho and Abodoye (1998), Nigeria:" Electoral system in Nigeria " making of the presidential system 1979 General Elections, Kano, Triumph Publishing Company Ltd.
. Azeez (2005). Results of violence: Jos: Liberty Publisher
. Blum Jensen (1990). “Political Participation”. In Greenstein and Polsby (Eds.) Handbook of Political Science. Vol. 4 (reprod. Version) Reading, Mass: Addison and Wesley Publishing Co.
. Danzine (1998) Effectiveness of Fight Against Violence In Politics.
. Daramola, I. (2005). Introduction to Mass Communication. Lagos, Nigeria: Rothan Press.
. McCombs, M; Shaw, D. (1972). ‘The Agenda-Setting Function of Mass Media’. Public Opinion Quarterly 36(2), pp: 176-187.
. McQuail, D. and Windahl, S. (1981). Communication Models for the Study of Mass Communication, 2nd edn. London: Longman.
. Nwolise and Azeez (2005). Managing Ethnic Pluralism through the Constitution in Nigeria. PEFS Monograph New Series No. 7. Ibadan: John Archers (Publishers) Ltd. for Programme on Ethnic and Federal Studies (PEFS), Dept. of Political Science, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria.
. Oyewole and Ogungbamigbe. (2004). Global News Flow Controversy: Is The South Also Guilty? , N0.7, Enugu: Department of Mass Communication, University of Nigeria, Nsukka. Pp 13-42.
. Schramm, W. (1977)). The Science of Communication. Urban: University of Illinois Press.
. Schramm, W. (1979). Mass Communication. Urban: University of Illinois.
. Uche (1997) “Functions of mass media in electioneering campaign in a developing context” in Ikechukwu Nwosu et al (eds) communication for sustainable human development, Enugu, African council for communication education.
. Lippman (1992): cited in price, 1992.
. Wikipedia (2019).
Copyright (c) 2019 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.