Flood Prevention and Mitigation Initiatives towards a Flood-Free City
AbstractThis study aimed to investigate the flood prevention and mitigation initiatives of Cabanatuan to gain information that served as the basis for the development and integration of flood prevention and mitigation initiatives in the City. The researcher used the descriptive research design with questionnaire as the main tool to gather information from the 110 barangay residents and officials, Local Government Units (LGU) and Cabanatuan City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office officers (CCDRRMO) of the City. The study found out that: a. Cabanatuan City is vulnerable to floodings; barangays in Cabanatuan that are more flood physical vulnerable are Aduas Centro, Aduas Norte, Aduas Sur, Bagong Sikat, Bakero, Bakod Bayan, Bantug Bulalo, Barlis, Barrera and Balite; b. Heavy and prolonged rainfall, clogged river, canals, creeks and streams, lack of preventive infrastructure and facilities and poor implementation of waste management system were the possible leading causes of flooding in Cabanatuan City; c. The flood prevention and mitigation initiatives as to control over the river and control over the land were moderately implemented while other mitigation measures that had been done by the City Government were properly implemented; d. There is no significant difference in the responses of the three groups of respondents regarding the flood prevention and mitigation initiatives done by the Cabanatuan City government; e. Monthly seminars regarding floods for proper awareness and readiness, strict implementation of the law, appropriate coordination with community and government authorities and better flood prevention and mitigation plan were the suggestions of the respondents towards a flood-free city.
Silvestri, Manuel . Impacts of Flooding. National Geographic Magazine.2018
Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration. Definition and Nature of Flood. Retrieved September 18, 2012, from http://kidlat.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/genmet/floods/def_natur.html.
Paz-Alberto, A.M., de Dios, M.J.J., Alberto, R.P. and De Guzman, C.H.E.A. Climate Change Impacts and Vulnerability Assessment of Selected Municipalities and Agro-ecosystems to Support Development of Resilient Communities and Livelihoods in Nueva Ecija, Philippines. American Journal of Climate Change, 2018, 7, 295-335
Inquirer.Net. Cabanatuan City starts cleaning up mud after worst flood in years. 2015. Newsinfi.inquirer.net
Kumar, R. Research Methodology: A step-by-step guide for beginners (4th.ed.) SAGE,CA: Thousand Oaks.2014.
Pagandian, Joni L. and Eduardo, Jesster P. Restorative Justice in Cordillera Administrative Regio: tradition and Praxis towards a Peace Process Model. International Journal of Social Science Studies. Vol.7, No.1; January 2019. Doi:10.11114/ijsss.v7il.3748.
Subia, G.S., Trinidad, C.L., Pascual, R.R., Medrano, H.B. & Manuzon, E.P. Learning
Styles and Preferred Teaching Styles of Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT), major in Vocational Technological Education (VTE) Generarion Y Learners. International Journal of English Literature and Social Sciences (IJELS) .Vol-4, Issue 2, Mar-Apr, 2019. https://dx.doi.org/10.22161/ijels.4.2.35.
Bernard, H.R. Research Methods in Anthropology: Qualitative and quantitative methods. 3rd edition. AltaMira Press ,Walnut Creek, California.2002.
Subia, G.S. Comprehensible Technique in Solving Consecutive Number Problems in Algebra. Journal of Applied Mathematics and Physics, 6, 447-457. https://doi.org/10.4236/jamp.2018.63041
Carribean Disaster Emergency Management Agency (CDEMA). Flood Preparedness (Flood Prevention and Mitigation Manual). Acute Vision Inc, 2010.European Union.
Bair .What Causes Floods? Top 8 common causes of Flooding. firstname.lastname@example.org. Azusa, California. 2018.
Office of Disaster Preparedness and Management –ODPM. Flooding. 2013. http://www.odpm.gov.tt/node/16
Postel, S. and Richter, B.D. Rivers for Life: Managing Water for People and Nature. Island Press, Washington DC.2003.
Jimeno, Karen V.(2017). How long will we drown in the Philippines’ flood problems? The Philippine Star. philstar Global.
Subia, Gener S. Think Like My Teacher (TLMT): A New Method in Assessing Millennial Learners. International Journal of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences.Volume 3. Issue 1.2018. 57-61.www.ijahss.com
Subia, G. , Amaranto, J. , Amaranto, J. , Bustamante, J. and Damaso, I. Chess and Mathematics Performance of College Players: An Exploratory Analysis. Open Access Library Journal, 2019, 6, 1-7. doi: 10.4236/oalib.1105195
Copyright (c) 2019 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.