Reducing the Flammability of Gmelina arborea Wood Using Flame Retardants
AbstractThe purpose of this study is to reduce the flammability of Gmelina arborea using fire retardants. This becomes necessary because fire has caused a lot of devastating effect to mankind since its discovery. Gmelina arborea splints were immersed in different concentrations of antimony trichloride, ammonium sulphamate and mixture of the antimony trichloride and ammonium sulphamate to determine the ignition time (IT), flame propagation rate (FPR) and after-glow time (AGT). The results indicated reduction in flame propagation rate and after-glow time for the three flame retardants while ignition time was increased with increase in concentration for the retardants. It was also observed that the combined flame retardants gave the highest ignition time and least flame propagation rate and after-glow time among the three flame retardants used. These flame retardants can be used especially the mixture of antimony trichloride and ammonium sulphamate to hinder/slow the ignitability of Gmelina arborea.
. A.R. Horrocks, D. Price and M. Ane. “Flame Retardant for Cellulosic Materials.”Journal of Fire Sciences, p.235, 1987.
. G. Bashiru and A. N. Eboatu. “Effect of Flame Retardant Treatment on the Thermal Behaviour of Some Tropical Timbers.”Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol 39, pp. 109-118, 1990.
. R.M. Rowel. Handbook of Wood Chemistry and Wood Composites.Florida: CRC Press, 2005, pp. 80-140.
. A.N. Eboatu. (1992).Fire, Flammability and Fire Fighting.Lagos: Anchor Educational Press, 1992, pp. 6-33.
. E.W. Ducane. Wood Research Station Review, New York:Macmillian Company, 1978, p. 124.
. R. Fried. Polymer Science and Technology. 2nd ed.,New Jersey: Person Education Inc, 2003, pp. 43.
. P. Dufton. Flame Retardants for Plastics,United Kingdom: Repratechnology Ltd, 2003, pp. 17-18.
. P. Parma and G.B.Rathod. “Basic Facts of Fire – A Forensic Review.” International Journal of Current Research and Review, vol. 04, issue 19, pp. 181-191, 2012.
. H. McGraw. Encyclopedia of Science and Technology.8th edition, England: R. R,Donnelly & Sons Comp, 1997, pp. 127-154.
. S. Silvana. “Synthesis, Characterization and Application of Polymeric Flame Retardant Additives Obtained by Chemical Modification.” Ph.D Thesis, Universitat Elvira I Virgili, Tarragon, 2012.
. R. U. Arinze, A. N. Eboatu, P. I. Udeozo, J. I. Dioha and U. I. Okoye.“Flame Retardant Paint Treatment of Some Tropical Timbers.”European Journal of Applied Science, vol. 7, issue 4, pp. 195-198, 2015.
. A.N. Eboatu, B. Garba and I.O. Akpabio. “Flame Retardant Treatment of some Tropical Timbers.”Fire and Materials, vol. 17, pp. 39-42, 1993.
. T. Mariappan (September 6th 2017). “Fire Retardant Coatings.” New Technologies in Protective Coatings, [Carlos Giudice and Guadalupe Canosa, IntechOpen], pp. 101-122. DOI: 10.5772/67675. Available from: https://www.intechopen.com/books/new-technologies-in-protective-coatings/fire-retardant-coatings
. F. Wang, Q. Wang and X. Wang. “Progress in Research on Fire Retardant–Treated Wood and Wood-Based Composites: A Chinese Perspective.” Forest Products Journal, vol. 60, No. 7/8, pp. 668-678, 2010.
. E. Erike, Igbelina and A.N. Eboatu. “The Combination Effect of Known Flame Retardant Behaviour of Timber Samples.”Journal of Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 2, pp.267-273, 1995.
. T.U. Onuegbu, E.T. Umoh andJ.E. Iwuchukwu. “Flame retardant effects on Flexible polyurethane foam treated with potassium Aluminum Sulphate.”ARPN Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 2, issue 11, p. 1098, 2011.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.