Rear Axle Failure Analysis of the Dump Truck
AbstractThe dump truck rear axle has failed while operating. The shaft transmits torque from the differential gear to the rear wheels through a planetary gear arrangement. Axle parts that fail to be investigated to determine the cause of failure. Field scanning is done using scanning electron microscopy (SEM). The hardness profile along the cross section is evaluated by measurement of micro hardness. Chemical analysis shows that the shaft is made of american iron steel institude (AISI) 4140 steel. The shaft carbon content is 0.52%, higher than AISI 4140 standard where the maximum carbon content is 0.45%. Manganese (Mn), sulfur (S), phosphorus (P), silicon (Si), and chromium (Cr) content have met standards. Microstructure analysis and profile hardness testing revealed that the edge profile was more fragile, different from the more resilient core. This phenomenon is related to the discovery of microstructure on the edge of the profile found in a martensitic structure which reveals that the manufacturing of the shaft undergoes a surface hardening process to harden the shaft surface. The analysis shows that the fracture starts from the edge of the profile where there is a fragile martensitic structure due to improper heat treatment (high hardness).
. H. Bayrakceken, S. Tasgetiren, I. Yavuz., 2006,”Two case of failure in the power transmission system on vehicles: A universal joined yoke and a drive shaft”, Engineering Failure Analysis, volume 14 (2007), pp. 716-724.
. N. Parida, S. Tarafder, S.K. Das, P. Kumar, G. Das, V.R. Ranganath, D.K. Bhattacharya., 2002,” Failure analysis of coal pulverizer mill shaft”, Engineering Failure Analysis, volume 10 (2003), pp. 733-744.
. Callister, W, D., and Rethwisch, D, G., Fundamentals of Materials Science and Engineering: Applicationa and Processing of Metal Alloys, Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2008.
. A.Terrin, C. Dengo, G. Meneghetti., 2017,”Experimental analysis of contact fatigue damage in case hardened gears for off-highway axles”, Engineering Failure Analysis, EFA-03032; No of Pages 17.
. William C Leslie, The Physical Metallurgy of Steels, New York : Mc Graw Hill, 1981.
. Wulpi DJ.Understanding how components fail.2nded.Materials Park(OH): ASM International; 2000.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.