Five Classification of Mammography Images Based on Deep Cooperation Convolutional Neural Network
AbstractMammography is currently the preferred imaging method for breast cancer screening. Masses and calcification are the main positive signs of mammography. Due to the variable appearance of masses and calcification, a significant number of breast cancer cases are missed or misdiagnosed if it is only depended on the radiologists’ subjective judgement. At present, most of the studies are based on the classical Convolutional Neural Networks (CNN), which uses the transfer learning to classify the benign and malignant masses in the mammography images. However, the CNN is designed for natural images which are substantially different from medical images. Therefore, we propose a Deep Cooperation CNN (DCCNN) to classify mammography images of a data set into five categories including benign calcification, benign mass, malignant calcification, malignant mass and normal breast. The data set consists of 695 normal cases from DDSM, 753 calcification cases and 891 mass cases from CBIS-DDSM. Finally, DCCNN achieves 91% accuracy and 0.98 AUC on the test set, whose performance is superior to VGG16, GoogLeNet and InceptionV3 models. Therefore, DCCNN can aid radiologists to make more accurate judgments, greatly reducing the rate of missed and misdiagnosis.
Ferlay, Jacques, Clarisse Héry, Autier P , Clarisse Héry, Autier P. Global Burden of Breast Cancer. Breast Cancer Epidemiology, 2010, pp. 1–19.
Chen, W., Zheng, R., Baade, P. D., Zhang, S., Zeng, H., & Bray, F., et al. "Cancer statistics in china, 2015,"Ca Cancer J Clin, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 115-132, 2016.
Schreer, Ingrid. "Dense Breast Tissue as an Important Risk Factor for Breast Cancer and Implications for Early Detection," Breast Care, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 89-92, 2009.
Moss, S. M., Nystrom, L., Jonsson, H., Paci, E., Lynge, E., & Njor, S., et al. "The impact of mammographic screening on breast cancer mortality in Europe: a review of trend studies," Journal of Medical Screening 19.Supplement 1, pp.26-32, 2012.
Kerlikowske, and Karla. "Performance of Screening Mammography among Women with and without a First-Degree Relative with Breast Cancer," Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 133, no. 11, pp.855, 2000.
Berlin, and Leonard. "Radiologic errors, past, present and future." Diagnosis, vol. 1, no. 1, pp.79-84, 2014.
Prathibha,G., Dr.Chandra,B. "Mammograms classification using Multiresolution Transforms and Convolution Neural Networks." In 9th International Conference on Computing, Communication and Networking Technologies, 2018.
Lévy, Daniel, and A. Jain. "Breast Mass Classification from Mammograms using Deep Convolutional Neural Networks.", 2016.
Danny Soriano, Carlos Aguilar, Ivan Ramirez-Morales, Eduardo Tusa, Wilmer Rivas, Maritza Pinta. "Mammogram Classification Schemes by Using Convolutional Neural Networks,"2017.
Chougrad, Hiba, H. Zouaki, and O. Alheyane . "Deep Convolutional Neural Networks for Breast Cancer Screening." Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, 2019.
Quan, C., Jinze L., Kyle L., Xiaofei Z., XiaoqinW. "Transfer deep learning mammography diagnostic model from public datasets to clinical practice: a comparison of model performance and mammography datasets,"in 4th International Workshop on Breast Imaging, 2018.
Heath, M., Bowyer, K., Kopans, D., Moore, R., & Kegelmeyer, P. "The digital database for screening mammography,"2001.
Lee, R.S., Gimenez, F., Hoogi, A. and Rubin, D. "Curated Breast Imaging Subset of DDSM,"The Cancer Imaging Archive, 2016.
Cubuk, E. D., Zoph, B., Mane, D., Vasudevan, V., & Le, Q. V. "Autoaugment: learning augmentation policies from data,"2018.
Ioffe, Sergey, and C. Szegedy. "Batch normalization: accelerating deep network training by reducing internal covariate shift," International Conference on International Conference on Machine Learning JMLR.org, 2015.
Trujillano, Javier. "Aproximación a la metodología basada en árboles de decisión (CART). Mortalidad hospitalaria del infarto agudo de miocardio," Gaceta Sanitaria, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 65-72, 2008.
Kingma,D. P., & Ba, J. " Adam: a method for stochastic optimization. Computer Science, "2014.
Leal,Y.,Gonzalez-Abril, L.,Ruiz, M.,Lorencio, C.,Bondia, J.,Vehi, J. "Un nuevo enfoque para detectarmediciones de glucosaerroneasen los sistemas de monitorizacioncont inuos de glucose,", JARCA 2012, vol. 15, pp. 17, 2012.
Fernandez,P. C.,Taladriz,C. C.,Alcaide,F. G.,Sacchi,L., Bellazzi,R., Aguilera, E, J, G. "Extraccion de reglas temporales complejas para la deteccion de fallos del tratamiento antiretroviral,"2008.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.