Physico-chemical Analysis of Groundwater Around Mai-Bela, Asmara, Eritrea
AbstractGroundwater quality studies were carried out inAsmaraaround Mai-Belaan area having a long history of waste water irrigation. The objective of this study is to identify the quality of groundwater where groundwater is used for domestic and agricultural purposes in Mai-Bela area. Samples from five locations were collected and analyzed. The present investigation is focused on the determination of Physico-Chemical parameters such as temperature, electrical conductivity, pH, hardness, total dissolved solids (TDS), alkalinity, salinity,sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, manganese, bicarbonate, chloride, sulphate, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, chemical oxygen demand (COD)and toxic metal determinations. Groundwater suitability for domestic and irrigation purposes was compared with World Health Organization (WHO) and Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) standards. Most of the physico-chemical parameters were found above the permissible limit and so do the toxic metals except for COD, pH, temperature, Al, Cd, Cr, Cu and Zn which were found slightly lower than the standard limit which indicate the groundwater in most of the study sites were not suitable for drinking and irrigation purposes. This therefore, calls for appropriate treatment measures before the consumption of these waters by the populace to avoid long term accumulated health problems of these pollutants.
. S.S. Kolekar. “Physico-chemical analysis of ground water quality parameters – A Review.”Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 10(1),376-378,2017 (ISSN: 0974-2115)
. UNESCO.GroundwatercontaminationinventoryA Methodological Guide, International Hydrological Program(2002).
. Devendra Dohare, Shriram Deshpande and Atul Kotiya. (May, 2014). “Analysis of Ground Water Quality Parameters: A Review.”International Science Congress Association. [Online]. 3(5), 26-31. Available: www.isca.in [12/03/2018] (ISSN: 2278-9472)
. Alnos Easa and Ashraf Abou-Rayan. ‘’ DOMESTIC WASTEWATER EFFECT ON THE POLLUTION OF THE GROUNDWATER IN RURAL AREAS IN EGYPT’’, Fourteenth International Water Technology Conference, IWTC 14, Cairo, Egypt, 2010, 909-923.
. Leena Deshpande. “Water Quality Analysis Laboratory Methods, National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI),(2015)
. P. Thamilarasu and R. Sharmila. ( March | 2015). “PHYSICO-CHEMICAL CHARACTERISTICS OF GROUNDWATER ANALYSIS IN NAMAKKAL DISTRICT OF TAMILNADU STATE.”Rasayan J. Chem.. [Online],8(1),92-97. Available: http] (ISSN: 0976-0083)
. Yousif Algamal.“Assessment and statistical study of physico-chemical properties of water quality in some local water treatment plants in Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.”Advances in Applied Science Research, 6(7), 49-56, 2015. Available online at: www.pelagiaresearchlibrary.com (ISSN: 0976-0083)
. N. I. Onwughara, V. I. E. Ajiwe and H. O. Nnabuenyi, (2013). “Physicochemical Studies of Water from Selected Boreholes in Umuahia North Local Government Area, in Abia State, Nigeria.”International Journal of Pure & Applied Bioscience. [Online]. 1(3), 34-44. Available online at www.ijpab.com (ISSN: 2320 – 7051)
. Nikunj Ashiyani, Dr. Falguni Parekh, Dr. T.M.V. Suryanarayana, (Mar, 2015), “Analysis Of Physico-Chemical Properties of Groundwater.”International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology. [Online]. 4(3),1094-1098. Available: DOI: 10.15680/IJIRSET.2015.0403061 1094-1098 (ISSN(Online) : 2319 - 8753)
. EZERIBE, A. I., OSHIEKE, K. C. & JAURO, A.. (2012). “PHYSICO-CHEMICAL PROPERTIES OF WELL WATER SAMPLES FROM SOME VILLAGES IN NIGERIA WITH CASES OF STAINED AND MOTTLE TEETH.”Science World Journal. [Online].7(1), 1-3. Available: www.scienceworldjournal.org[22/05/2018] (ISSN 1597-6343)
. K. Jacques Fatombi1, T. Angèle Ahoyo, Odilon Nonfodji, Taofiki Aminou. (Dec, 2012)“Physico-Chemical and Bacterial Characteristics of Groundwater and Surface Water Quality in the Lagbe Town: Treatment Essays with Moringa oleifera Seeds.”Journal of Water Resource and Protection. [Online], 4, 1001-1008. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/jwarp.2012.412116
. World Health Organization. (2011a) Guidance for Drinking Water Quality. 4th ed. [online]. Available at http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9789241548151_eng. [accessed 22 November 2011].
. SUNITA R. DANDWATE. (2012). “Study of Physicochemical Parameters of Groundwater Quality of Kopargaon Area, Maharastra State, India during Pre-monsoon and Post-monsoon Seasons.”E-Journal of Chemistry.[Online], 9(1), 15-20. Available: http://www.e-journals.net. (ISSN: 0973-4945)
. Environmental Protection Agency, Parameters of Water Quality, Interpretation and Standards,(2001).
. Srajan Shrivastava.“Water Quality Analysis of Water Bodies of Kantajhar Basti.” B.Sc. thesis,Department of Chemical Engineering, National Institute of Technology, Rourkela, India, (2014)
. PRIYANKA TIWARI. (2017).“WATER QUALITY ASSESMENT FOR DRINKING AND IRRIGATION PURPOSE.”Indian J.Sci.Res.. [Online], 13 (2), 140-142. (ISSN: 2250-0138)
. Amr H. Mostafa, Raed S. Al-Wasify, Amr M. Sayed and Bakry M. Haroun. (2013). “Microbiological and Physicochemical Evaluation of Groundwater in Egypt.”International Journal of Environment and Sustainability. [Online]. 2(2), 1-10. Available: www.sciencetarget.com. (ISSN 1927-9566)
. Anjum Praveen, Rajesh Kumar, Pratima And Rajat Kumar. (Apr, 2013).“Physio- Chemical Properties of the Water of River Ganga at Kanpur”, International Journal of Computational Engineering Research. [Online], 3(4),134-137. Available: www.ijceronline.com [02/04/2018]
. Emhemmed Alhibshi, Khadija Albriky, and Abulnabi Bushita. “Concentration of Heavy Metals in underground water wells in Gharian district, Libya.” International Conference on Agricultural, Ecological and Medical Sciences (AEMS-2014), Bali, Indonesia, 2014. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.15242/IICBE.C0214005
. Yang Guan, Chaofeng Shao and Meiting Ju. (2014). “Heavy Metal Contamination Assessment and Partition for Industrial and Mining Gathering Areas.”International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. [Online]. 11, 7286-7303. Available: doi:10.3390/ijerph110707286. [12/05/2018] (ISSN 1660-4601).
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.