A Comparative Study of Peel and Seed Extract of Passion Fruit (Passiflora edulis) as Anti Collagenase
AbstractNatural plant compound is known to have various effects that are beneficial to human health including as antioxidant and anti-aging. The aim of this study was to investigate the antioxidant activity of passion fruit peel and seeds an the activity in inhibiting collagenase. The ethanolic extract of seed and peel of P.edulis was determined by antioxidant activity using DPPH scavenging method and continued with the investigation of anticollagenase activity. The result showed that the IC50 of peel extract and seed extract of P.edulis were 56.11 ± 2.26 µg/mL and 88.25 ± 14.31 µg/mL respectively. The IC50 of anti-collagenase activity of peel and seed extract of P.edulis were 82.53 ± 1.42 µg/mL and 225.40 ± 9.12 µg/mL respectively. From the result, it concluded that peel and seed extract of P.edulis possesses remarkable potency as anti-collagenase activity and have the potential to be developed as anti-aging skin nutraceutical.
I. Binic, V. Lazarevic, M. Ljubenovic, J. Mojsa, and D. Sokolovic, “Skin Ageing : Natural Weapons and Strategies,” Evidence-Based Complement. Altern. Med., vol. 2013, pp. 1–10, 2013.
S. Singh and S. Mishra, “Aging and Nutrition : A Review Article,” IOSR J. Nurs. Heal. Sci., vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 43–47, 2013.
K. Lifie, R. Mansauda, E. Anwar, T. Nurhayati, and E. Anwar, “Antioxidant and Anti-Collagenase Activity of Sargassum plagyophyllum Extract as an Anti-Wrinkle Cosmetic Ingredient,” Pharmacogn J, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 932–936, 2018.
S. Sharafzadeh, “Medicinal Plants as Anti-Ageing Materials : A Review,” Glob. J. Med. Plant Res., vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 234–236, 2013.
W. D. Ratnasooriya, W. P. K. M. Abeysekera, G. A. S. Premakumara, C. D. T. Ratnasooriya, and S. G. Ratnasooriya, “In vitro anti-collagenase collagenase activity of Sri Lankan low grown orthodox Orange Pekoe grade black tea ( Camellia sinensis L .),” Res. J. Chem. Sci., vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 11–15, 2017.
T. C. Colomeu, D. De Figueiredo, R. D. L. Zollner, L. Maria, and M. Meletti, “Comparison of Antioxidant and Ant proliferative Effect among Four Passiflora Spp .,” J. Agric. Life Sci., vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 1–8, 2017.
C. Irawan, L. Sulistiawaty, and H. Rochaeni, “Evaluation of DPPH free radical scavenging activity of Pometia pinnata from Indonesia,” Pharma Innov. J., vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 403–406, 2017.
H. Jalal, M. A. Pal, H. Hamdani, and M. Rovida, “Antioxidant activity of pomegranate peel and seed powder extracts,” J. Pharmacogn. Phytochem., vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 992–997, 2018.
S. M. R. Hasan, M. Hossain, R. Akter, and M. Jamila, “DPPH free radical scavenging activity of some Bangladeshi medicinal plants,” J. Med. Plant Res., vol. 3, no. 11, pp. 875–879, 2009.
S. R. Kanatt, R. Chander, and A. Sharma, “Antioxidant and antimicrobial activity of pomegranate peel extract improves the shelf life of chicken products Original article Antioxidant and antimicrobial activity of pomegranate peel extract improves the shelf life of chicken products,” Int. J. Food Sci. Technol., vol. 45, pp. 216–222, 2010.
RSR. Benites. ASN. Formagio. EJS Argandona. CRF. Volobuff. LNF. Trevizan. MC. Vieira. MS. Silva, “Contents of constituents and antioxidant activity of seed and pulp extracts of Annona coriacea and Annona sylvatica,” Brazilian J. Biol., vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 685–691, 2015.
S. Ramaiya, J. S. Bujang, M. H. Zakaria, M. Arif, and S. Sahrir, “Sugars , ascorbic acid , total phenolic content and total antioxidant activity in passion fruit ( Passiflora ) cultivars Shiamala Devi Ramaiya , a ∗ Japar Sidik Bujang , a Muta Harah Zakaria , b Wong,” J Sci Food Agric, vol. 93, pp. 1198–1205, 2013.
I. Ahmad, R. Sulistiarini, and L. Rijai, “Antioxidant Activity of Some Selected East Borneo Plants,” Int. J. Publich Heal. Sci., vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 58–62, 2015.
S. Pientaweeratch, V. Panapisal, and A. Tansirikongkol, “activities of Phyllanthus emblica , Manilkara zapota and silymarin : an in vitro comparative study for anti-aging applications,” Pharm. Biol., vol. 54, no. 9, pp. 1865–1872, 2016.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.