Relationship of Body Mass Index (BMI) and Insulin Resistance on Patients Diabetes Mellitus Type-2 in Lampung
AbstractDiabetes Melitus (DM) Type-2 is a disease that arises in a person caused by high blood sugar levels due to disorders of secretion, insulin work or both. Diabetes Melitus Type-2 is more common than other types. According to Body Mass Index (BMI) is the main risk factor for the occurrence of DM type-2. Excess weight can make cells not sensitive to insulin (insulin resistant). Insulin plays a role in increasing glucose uptake in many cells and also regulates carbohydrate metabolism, so that if insulin resistance occurs, the sugar levels in the blood can experience interference. The purpose of this study was to determine the relationship of body mass index and insulin resistance in patients with DM type-2. The research method used was analytic observation with a cross sectional approach. The research subjects were 44 patients with DM type-2 and 44 non-DM patients. The instruments used were microtoise and weight scales to measure body mass index, insulin examination using the ELISA method to measure insulin resistance (HOMA IR) and then performed statistical tests using Chi-Square analysis. The results of statistical tests on insulin resistance p = 0.028, with α = 5%, there was significant relationship between HOMA IR in patients DM type-2 with the control group. The results of the BMI statistical test obtained p = 0.000, α = 5%, so there was a significant relationship between BMI in patients DM type-2 with the control group. Based on the results of the study it can be concluded that insulin resistance and body mass index have a significant relationship with patients DM type-2.
Gibney, M.J., et al. Public Health Nutrition.Jakarta: EGC. 2009.
American Diabetes Association. (2017). “Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes 2017”. Vol. 40. USA : ADA
ADA (2012).Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus .Diabetes Care,35(1), (care.Diabetesjournals.org)
Sugiritama IW, Wiyawan IGN, Arijana IGN. Overview of BMI in the category of overweight and obesity in the Banjar Demulih community, Susut sub-district, Bangli regency. FK Udayana ; 2015.
Lumbantobinga, Christina J. R. E., Sumaryati Syukur, Eti Yerizel, & Endang Purwati.2017.Benefits of Asam Gelugur (Garcinia atroviridis) Tea as a Source of Antioxidant Compounds on Malondialdehyde Levels in Adults with Obesity. American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS) (2017) Volume 34, No 1, pp 198-204
Notoatmodjo, S., 2010. Health Research Methodology. Jakarta: Rineka Cipta.
Bonora E, Targher G, Alberiche M, Bonadonna RC, Saggiani F, Zenera MB, 2000. Homeostasis Model Assessment Closely Mirrors the Glucosa Clamp Technique in the Assessment of Insulin Sensitivity. Diabetes Care :23 : 57-63.
Yates T, Davies MJ, Henson J, Edwardson C, Webb D, Bodicot DH, Webb M, Howard P, Cooper JA, Humpries SE, Khunti K, Talmud P, 2015. Effect of the PPARG2 Pro12Ala Polymorphism on Association of Physical Activity and Sedentary Time with Markers of Insulin Sensitivity in Those with an Elevated Risk of Type 2 Diabetes. PloS ONE.
Adnan M., Mulyati t., Isworo T.J., 2013. Relationship of Body Mass Index (BMI) with Blood Sugar Levels in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (DM) Outpatient at Tugurejo Hospital Semarang. Nutrition journal of the Semarang Islamic University. April 2 (1)
Al-Naemi AH, Ahmad AJ, 2018. Is the rs 1801282 (G/C) Polymorphism of PPAR-Gamma Gene Associated with T2DM in Iraqi People?. J Med Sci : 15 : 6 ; 447-455.
Jelantik IGM, Haryati E, Relationship of Age Risk Factors, Gender, Overweight and Hypertension with Type Ii Diabetes Mellitus in the Work Area of Mataram Health Center. Media Bina Ilmiah. Volume 8, No. February. 2014
Bays HE, Chapman RH, Grandy S, The Relationship Of Body Mass Index To Diabetes Mellitus, Hypertension And Dyslipidaemia: Comparison Of Data From Two National Surveys.Int J Clin Pract. 2007 May 1; 61(5): 737–747
Trisnawati F. 2012. midwifery care. Jilid I. Jakarta: PT. Prestasi Pustakarya. 364 Varney H, Kriebs JM dan Gegor C. 2007. Buku Ajar Asuhan Kebidanan. Jakarta: EGC.
Nurul Agustina 2015. relationship between body mass index (imt) and blood sugar levels of people with diabetes mellitus in the village of barengkrajan sub-district of krian regency sidoarjo J.Sumaary.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.