Formulation & Evaluation of Fluconazole Gel for Topical Drug Delivery System
AbstractFluconazole is a recent triazole antifungal drug that is used in the treatment of superficial and systemic fungal infection. The oral use of fluconazole is not much recommended as it has many side effects. Thus this formulation is made for better patient compliance and to reduce the dose of the drug and to avoid the side effects like liver damage and kidney damage. This research was designed to formulate & evaluate different formulation of a topical gel containing fluconazole by using a polymer with different concentration as Carbopol 940 & NaCMC. Methanol was used as a penetration enhancer. The evaluation of formulated fluconazole topical gel was carried out for a physical appearance, pH-value, spreadability, homogeneity, drug content. The formulated gel showed good physical characteristics. The formulation F3 (101.18%) & F6 (105.4%) show good drug content as the polymer concentration in them was higher. The percentage yield of F4 (98.26%) was the highest. The spreadability of gel decreases with an increase in polymer concentration. The pH of the formulation was in the range of 5-8 which is considered acceptable to avoid the risk of irritation upon application to the skin.
. Touitou E, Dayan N, Bergelson L, Godin B, Eliaz M. Ethosomes—novel vesicular carriers for enhanced delivery: characterization and skin penetration properties. Journal of controlled release. 2000;65(3):403-18.
. Dhandore SG, Wagh KB. Formulation and evaluation of fluconazole gel by using synthetic polymer. PharmaTutor. 2018;6(4):27-31.
. Glavas-Dodov M, Fredro-Kumbaradzi E, Goracinova K, Calis S, Simonoska M, Hincal AA. 5-Fluorouracil in topical liposome gels for anticancer treatment--formulation and evaluation. Acta pharmaceutica (Zagreb, Croatia). 2003;53(4):241-50.
. Rupal J, Kaushal J, Mallikarjuna SC, Dipti P. Preparation and evaluation of topical gel of valdecoxib. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Drug Research. 2010;2(1):51-4.
. Fink G. the Fink lab. How antifungal drug kill fungi and cure disease(Online). 2005.
. Indora N, Kaushik D. Design, development and evaluation of ethosomal gel of fluconazole for topical fungal infection. International journal of engineering science invention research & development. 2015;1(8):280-306.
. Bangarwa S, Garg S, Aseri A. A review on antifungal gels: as a topical drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Technol Biotechnol. 2014;1:48-55.
. Song JC, Deresinski S. Hepatotoxicity of antifungal agents. Current opinion in investigational drugs (London, England: 2000). 2005;6(2):170.
. Kasar PM, Kale KS, Phadtare DG. Formulation and Evaluation of Topical Antifungal Gel Containing Itraconazole. Research Journal of Topical and Cosmetic Sciences. 2018;9(2):49-52.
. JAIN BD. FORMULATION DEVELOPMENT AND EVALUATION OF FLUCONAZOLE GEL IN VARIOUS POLYMER BASESFORMULATION DEVELOPMENT AND EVALUATION OF FLUCONAZOLE GEL IN VARIOUS POLYMER BASES. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics (AJP): Free full text articles from Asian J Pharm. 2016;1(1).
. Pharmacopoeia B. International Publication. Vol II. 1993.
. Rathod HJ, Mehta DP. A review on pharmaceutical gel. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015;1(1):33-47.
. Parashar B, Kabra A, Chandel A. Formulation and evaluation of gel containing Miconazole nitrate an antifungal agent. Int J Pharm Res Rev. 2013;2(6):18-28.
. Soni A, Chaudhary A, Singla S, Goyal S. Review on: Novel Approach in Pharmaceutical Gel. Current Pharma Research. 2018;9(1):2576-88.
. Basha BN, Prakasam K, Goli D. Formulation and evaluation of gel containing fluconazole-antifungal agent. Int J Drug Dev Res. 2011;3(4):119-27.
. Tanwar Y, Jain AK. Formulation and evaluation of topical diclofenac sodium gel using different gelling agent. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Health Care. 2012;4(1).
. Helal DA, Attia D, Abdel-Halim SA, El-Nabarawi MA. Formulation and evaluation of fluconazole topical gel. 2012.
. Das S, Samanta A, Bose A. Design, development and evaluation of Fluconazole topical gel. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2015;8(2):132-5.
Copyright (c) 2021 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.