SNP rs1137101 Leptin Receptor Gene LEPR as a Risk Factor for Type 2 Diabetes
Mutations of leptin gene resulting in leptin deficiency cause obesity, insulin resistance, and diabetes in animals and, in few cases, morbid obesity and hyperinsulinemia in humans.The distribution of single nucleotide polymorphism of the leptin receptor gene "LEPR rs1137101( (Q223R)" in the Slavonic population (Ukrainian and Russian) from Kharkov and Poltava was investigated. Identification of "single nucleotide polymorphisms "C/G LEPR leptin receptor gene" was performed using "polymerase chain reaction – restriction fragment length polymorphism (PCR-RFLP)" .In control group, the major allele in the studied population is Q, its frequency pQ=0.57.The difference is non-significant when comparing men (0.59) to women (0.56). There is high percent of homozygotes QQ in men than women. In diabetic group the major allele is R with a frequency = 0.59 with significant difference when comparing men 0.56 to women 0.63.There is a high percent of the genotype RR in women than men. The RR genotype increases the probability of contracting type 2 diabetes mellitus (Relative risk( RR) = 1.44) whereas QQ genotype decreases this probability (RR = 0.45)..In conclusion, rs1137101 (Q223R) polymorphism of the LEPR gene is associated with susceptibility to type -2 diabetes. This polymorphism may represent genetic marker for the risk of type -2 diabetes.
. Ghalandari,H Hosseini-Esfahani,Fand Mirmiran,P: The Association of Polymorphisms in Leptin/Leptin Receptor Genes and Ghrelin/Ghrelin Receptor Genes With Overweight/Obesity and the Related Metabolic Disturbances: A Review. Int J Endocrinol Metab. Jul; 13(3): e19073, 2015.
. Paracchini V., Pedotti P., Taioli E., genetics of leptin and obesity: A HuGe Review// American journal of epidemiology, vol.162, no.2,101–114, 2005.
-Zhang Y., Proenca R., Maffei M. et al. Positional cloning of the mouse obese gene and its human homologue . Nature. Vol.372 P. 425–432, 1994
- Montague C.T., Farooqi I.S., Whitehead J.P. et al. Congenital leptin deficiency is associated with severe early-onset obesity in humans . Nature. Vol.387. P. 903–908, 1997.
- Rosmond R., Chagnon Y.C., Holm G. et al. Hypertension in obesity and the leptin receptor gene locus . J.Clin .Endocrinol. Metab. Vol.85. P. 3126–3131, 2000.
- Takahashi-Yasuno A., Masuzaki H., Miyawaki T. et al. Leptin receptor polymorphism is associated with serum lipid levels and impairment of cholesterol lowering effect by simvastatin in Japanese men . Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. Vol.62. P. 169–175, 2003.
- van Rossum C.T., Hoebee B., van Baak M.A. et al. Genetic variation in the leptin receptor gene, leptin, and weight gain in young Dutch adults . Obes. Res. 2003. Vol.11. P. 377–386.
- Loos R.J., Rankinen T., Chagnon Y. et al. Polymorphisms in the leptin and leptin receptor genes in relation to resting metabolic rate and respiratory quotient in the Québec Family Study . Int. J. Obes. Vol.30. P. 183–190, 2006.
- Park K.S., Shin H.D., Park B.L. et al. Polymorphisms in the leptin receptor (LEPR)-putative association with obesity and T2DM // J. Hum. Genet. Vol.51. P. 85–91, 2006.
- Walsh P.S., Metzger D.A., Higuchi R. Chelex 100 as a medium for simple extraction of DNA for PCR-based typing from forensic material . BioTechniques. Vol.10. P. 506–513, 1999.
- Gotoda T., Manning B.S., Goldstone A.P. et al. Leptin receptor gene variation and obesity: lack of association in a white British male population . Hum. Mol. Genet. Vol.6. P. 869–876, 1997.
-Silver K., Walston J., Chung W.K. et al. The Gln223Arg and Lys656Asn polymorphisms in the human leptin receptor do not associate with traits related to obesity . Diabetes. Vol.46. – P. 1898–1900, 1997.
-Mammes O., Aubert R., Betoulle D. et al. LEPR gene polymorphisms: associations with overweight, fat mass and response to diet in women . Eur. J. Clin. Invest. Vol.31. P. 398–404, 2001.
-Wauters M., Considine R.V., van Gaal L.F. Human leptin: from an adipocyte hormone to an endocrine mediator . Eur. J. Endocrinol. Vol.143. P. 293–311, 2000.
-van Rossum C.T.M., Hoebee B., Seidell J.C. et al. Genetic factors and weight gain in Dutch men and women . Int. J. Obes. Relat. Metab. Disord. Vol.26. P. 517–528, 2002.
-Echwald S.M., Sorensen T.D., Sorensen T.I. et al. Amino acid variants in the human leptin receptor: lack of association to juvenile onset obesity . Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. Vol.233. P. 248–252, 1997.
-Yiannakouris N., Yannakoulia M., Melistas L. et al. The Q223R polymorphism of the leptin receptor gene is significantly associated with obesity and predicts a small percentage of body weight and body compositionvariability . J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. Vol.86. P. 4434–4439, 2001.
- De Silva AM, Walder KR, Boyko EJ, et al. Genetic variation and obesity in Australian women: a prospective study. Obes Res. 9:733–40, 2001
- Matsuoka N, Ogawa Y, Hosoda K, et al. Human leptin receptor gene in obese Japanese subjects: evidence against either obesity-causing mutations or association of sequence variants with obesity.Diabetologia.40:1204–10, 1997
- Koh J.M., Kim D.J., Hong J.S. et al. Estrogen receptor alpha gene polymorphisms Pvu II and Xba I influence association between leptin receptor gene polymorphism (Gln223Arg) and bone mineral density in youngmen // Eur. J. Endocrinol. Vol.147. P. 777–783, 2002.
- Stefan N.B., Vozarova A.D., Ossowski P.V. et al. The Gln223Arg polymorphism of the leptin receptor in Pima Indians influence on energy expenditure, physical activity and lipid metabolism . Int. J. Obes. Relat. Metab.Disord. Vol.26. P. 1629–1632, 2002.
- Mattevi VS, Zembrzuski VM, Hutz MH. Association analysis of genes involved in the leptin-signaling pathway with obesity in Brazil. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord.;26: 1179–85, 2002
-Templeton A.R. Population genetics and microevolutionary theory. – Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2006. – 705p, 2006.
. Thompson DB, Ravussin E, Bennett PH, Bogardus C. Structure and sequence variation at the human leptin receptor gene in lean and obese Pima Indians. Hum Mol Genet. 6:675-679, 1997.
. Considine RV, Considine EL, Williams CJ, Hyde TM, Caro JF.The hypothalamus leptin receptor in humans: identification of incidental sequence polymorphisms and absence of the db/db mouse and fa/fa rat mutations. Diabetes 1996; 9:992-994.Chagnon YC, Chung WK, Pérusse L, Chagnon M, Leibel RL, Bouchard C. Linkages and associations between the leptin receptor (LEPR) gene and human body composition in the Québec Family Study. Int J Obes 1 999; 23:278–286.
-MatteviVS,ZembrzuskiVM,Hutz MH. Association analysis of genes involved in the leptin-signaling pathway with obesity in Brazil.Int J ObesRelatMetabDisord 26(9):1179-1185, 2002.
- Ghali, Z.H. Ahmed I.H., Gorshunska, M.Yu. Pоchеrnyaev, A.K. Atramentova, L.A. Structure of Ukrainian population on SNP rs1137101 of leptin receptor geneLEPR. The Journal of V.N.Karazin Kharkiv National University. Series: biology : 15, №1008., 94-98,
- There are currently no refbacks.