A Comparative Study on the Level of Depression between Older Women Living in Retirement Homes in the City of Tirana and Those Living with Their Families in Tirana As Well

Lorenc Barjami

Abstract


This paper/study examines the level of depression that exists between older women who live in different retirement homes in the city of Tirana in Albania and those who live with their families in Tirana as well. The methodology used for the compilation of this paper/study is predominantly quantitative, based on a sample of 100 older women.  The 40 per cent of the sample lives in different retirement homes across the city of Tirana, while the other 60 per cent live with their families. Intentionally, and for the purposes of the study, it was chosen a smaller percentage of women living in retirement homes compared to those living with their families. The age of the sample ranges from 60 to 80 years old. Beck’s Depression Inventory (BDI-II) which is considered of having high reliability, cronbach’s  (alpha) with a value.938, has been used for the data collection. The anonymity of the sample was taken into consideration during the application of Beck’s Depression Inventory. The Statistical Package for Social Sciences was used for the data analysis. The T-test analysis indicated a significant statistical difference on the level of depression that exist between the older women who lives in retirement homes (M = 32.78, DS = 10.599) and the depression level of older women who live with their families   (M =15.77, DS = 6.253), t (98) = 9.144, p =.000, α < .05. ANOVA data support that older women   living in retirement homes, present a   higher levels of depression compared to older women living with their families t: F (1, 98) = 101.738, p = .001, α < .05. The argument put forward in this paper/study is that older women living in retirement homes in Tirana have experiences a higher level of depression than those living with their families. 


Keywords


Depression; Older Women; Retirement Homes; Family.

Full Text:

PDF

References


Rush, A. John. Handbook of Psychiatric Measures. Washington, American Psychiatric Association, 2000, 153-160.

Dubey, A. Basin, S., Gupta, N & Sharma, N. (2011). A study of elderly living in old age home and within family set up in Jammu, India, 2011, 94-96.

Wetzel, J. W. (1984) Women and health psychology, New York, 2014, 31-50.

Mughal, M, Wasim., Fatma, N. Psychological Well-Being and Depression Among Inhabitants of Old Age Homes of Jaipur, Rajasthan. Jaipur, 2015, 271-273.

Koul, P., Shekhar, Ch., Kour, T. “Old age and adjustment: Gender differences in Institutionalized non- Institutionalized elderly”, Volume 2, Jammu-Tawi, Oct.-Nov.-Dec. (2013), 31-33.

Munk, K. (2007). Late - life Depression, Nordic Psychology, 59 (1), 7-26. : http://dx.doi.org/10.1027/1901-2276.59.1.7

Robbins, R. (1993) Depression: What is, theories, treatment, hope.: http://www.holysmoke.org/sdhok/why-dep.htm

Achterberg, W., Margriet Pot, A., Kerkstra, A., & Ribbe, M .Depressive symptoms in newly admitted nursing home. The International Journal of Geriatric psychiatry.vol.21, 1158-1162, December 2006.

Wason, N., Baid, P. Evaluation of Cognitive Status among the Elderly. Indian Journal of Gerontology, Vol. 26,537-542, march 2012.

Onya, O N, Stanley, P C. Risk Factors for Depressive Illness among Elderly Gopd Attendees at Upth. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences (IOSR-JDMS).vol.5, 77-83, March - April 2013.

Moos, R.H., Schuttte, K.K., Brennan, P.L. & Moos, B.S. The Interplay between Life Stressors and Depressive Symptoms among Older Adults. Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences. Vol.60, pp.199-203, 2005.

Daanesh. M, Umrigar.,R.S. Mhaske. Personality Differences Among the Institutionalized and Non-Institutionalized Aged. Indian Journal of Gerontology. Vol. 26, No. 4,502–509, March 2012.

Bhatt, M, Bindu., Vyas, Sh., Joshi, P, Janak. Ageing and health: “A Health Profile of inmates of old age home”. Open Access Journal, 5(1), 1-4. Available:www.njcmindia.org (2014).

Beck,A .(1996). Beck Depression Inventory BDI-II. (Appendix 14 Beck Depression Inventory).


Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.

Comments on this article

View all comments


 
  
 

 

  


About ASRJETS | Privacy PolicyTerms & Conditions | Contact Us | DisclaimerFAQs 

ASRJETS is published by (GSSRR).